FLASHPOINT

Beware of the pixies!

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

"So don't be a fool again 'cos they're just hooligans"

I'm not a happy bunny.
I've been feeling a bit off about something for a few days & something has just brought these feelings to the fore.
The something in question was a comment seen on another blog. Firstly, I'd like to say that I don't hold the poster of said comment to be responsible for my ire. It's just a manifestation of feelings that I have seen round Blogland & of course in the real world too. Also I believe that the blogger in question is quite young & god knows I often spoke without thinking my words through when I was a younger man.

The comment in question stated that in our country when there are major international football events going on that "hooligans" affix the flag of St.George to their cars. What sort of people do that?
"The sort of people that like to cover their cars in England flags are also the sort of people that like getting drunk, getting into fights, doing other stupid stuff like drink-driving, etc."

I will no doubt be putting an England flag on my car in the near future. I will be doing that as my small way of showing that I, as an Englishman & a football fan, am supporting my team & also because I consider it to be a little piece of fun. The whole country becomes a much more colourful place at these times, I like that. And I know I'm not alone in that.
So tell me why is this practice looked down upon? Do YOU believe that I'm a drink-driving, street fighting hooligan?

This is only a part of the picture though, I've recently been feeling marginalised for my liking of some of modern culture's more populist things. I love watching Big Brother; contrary to some opinions this does not put me on an intellectual level with plankton. In fact it says absolutely nothing about me other than I find that particular show entertaining.

I read The Sun. That is my choice. I choose it because it entertains me (a little) & it's easy enough to read in the very limited amount of time I usually have for such things. I've certainly got enough about me to know that their opinions are just that; opinions. And though I may find them distasteful sometimes I don't have to share them do I? Besides all papers have their own opinions & I've not found one that matches mine, though I have read ones whose rhetoric literally makes me sick. Daily Mail, anyone?
I know for a fact that there are people who look down their noses at me because I choose to read The Sun.

Maybe the books I choose to read also provoke incorrect assumptions about me? I don't know.

As always when I'm riled by something, I find myself suffering from an inability to express myself with enough articulation to really hammer my point home. Damn.

I think a lot of this may be my own insecurities. I'm a working class boy from a working class family from a working class city with a working class job & a working class circle of friends. Since I commenced this internet adventure I now find I have many friends who do not share my background. This is a wonderful thing. Strength through diversity.
Perhaps though I feel a bit of an odd one out as I think it's fair to assume that a lot of my on-line friends would or could be considered middle class. Inferiority complex? Maybe.

So what exactly is my point? The point is I hate to be classified & pigeon holed by the sort of widescreen judgmental generalisation seen in the quotations in the 2nd paragraph.

13 Comments:

  • At 9:56 pm, Blogger Charby said…

    IT bugs me too Flash the amount of people who think differently of you if you read the Sun!

    I noticed it a lot in uni, there's still a bit of a class divide there.

    I have a big england flag that I plan on flying from my window but car flags are just saaaad! hehehe!

     
  • At 10:05 pm, Blogger Flash said…

    I don't mind being saaaad Charbs, but I mind being called a drinkdriving hooligan.

     
  • At 11:06 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    Flashy, you might be amused by my response to your comment on Alecya's blog. I wrote it before reading your post, so I was in no way influenced, I swear...

    But to reiterate...you're not a hooligan, but there is strong evidence that ST might be.

    I think we talked a bit that class divisions look very different here...

     
  • At 2:17 am, Blogger Jessica said…

    Dear Hooligan,

    Will you take a picture of your car with said flag!? Sounds awesome.

    And something in this leads me to quote Jon Lennon:

    "A Working Class Hero is something to be..."

    Miss you too, Flashy!


    -Hammer

     
  • At 3:11 am, Blogger Hyde said…

    Classified and pigeon holed? You defy any such categories with your brilliantly unique "flashiness!"

    :)

    love,
    hyde

     
  • At 8:50 am, Blogger LB said…

    Whilst this is hardly rocket science mate, I'll share with you something that has never ever left me my entire life:

    Never be ashamed to admit liking something that you like.

    If you want an England flag on your car (I shall have a giant one hanging from my bedroom window come June 9th) than have one. Watch whatever TV you like. I am currently addicted to "Prison Break" - hardly troubling the BAFTA nominations is it?

    I walked into work this morning listening to a half hour selection of late 80s pop music. Who cares whether that is deemed ridiculous, un-trendy or makes me look like a pillock? I don't really care much, and mate, neither should you.

    Your ability to defend yourself speaks volumes, just don't feel you need to apologise for your personal taste. That is what makes you special.

     
  • At 9:00 am, Blogger weenie said…

    There was a time when it bothered me that my interests didn't match those of most of my friends and colleagues, so I didn't talk about them, as I was embarrassed. These days, I don't care - maybe it's cos I'm older (and wiser?), maybe it's just cos life is too short to worry about what others think.

     
  • At 9:20 am, Blogger swisslet said…

    Flashy - we love you for what you are, and bollocks to what anybody else thinks. I stuck that DVLA thing on my blog the other day suggesting that people who put flags on their cars might be a teensy bit "special needs", but does that mean that I believe it? Do I think any the less of you for thinking "The Da Vinci Code" was alright? Nope (although I might take the piss out of you for both, if that's okay?)

    There's nothing sadder than someone reading books or listening to music just because they think it makes them look cool. Life's too short, and pop music is too great!

    and as bargs says, you are a man of wisdom and I for one have got a lot of time for what you have to say.

    ST

    (Strong evidence I might be a hooligan? Are you sure Spins?)

     
  • At 11:49 am, Blogger adem said…

    I thought the flag thingy on SwissToni's site was very funny, but always a joke.

    Sometimes we can be all too eager to look down upon people for all the wrong reasons, and it is something that has become commonplace in todays society, with issues such as hoodies, chavs, etc

    People are stupid.

     
  • At 4:41 pm, Blogger Stef said…

    The commenter in question is obviously having some causality issues. Yes there are some scumbags who hang out England flags but that doesn't mean all flag wavers are scumbags.

    I'm sure not all BMW drivers are selfish arseholes.

    There is a hell of a lot of snobbery going around. Hell, I'm sure I've been guilty of it myself a few times but who hasn't?

    A few years ago being working class, especially poor and working class, was just deemed a little 'unfortunate' by the patronising middle-classes. Since 'Chav' became a common word the two have become inextricably linked in some people's minds and now people are sneered because of their social background.

    As someone brought up in a council flat by my mum on income support that pisses me off. I may now chose to read The Guardian and I can't stand Big Brother but I chose to live in a fairly chavvy area (god I hate the suburbs!) and I try not to judge people by their haircuts or flags just by what they do. I saw a guy in 'chav uniform' pissing in a doorway on the high street in broad daylight the other day just before getting into a BMW with an England flag on it. He's a twat but not because of his flag, his car or his tracksuit but because he pisses in doorways.

     
  • At 9:52 pm, Blogger Mark said…

    hmm. I know that not all people with flags are Hoolies, but some are.

     
  • At 9:14 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    I think you might have scared her off. She's just a kid, mate! You can be pretty scary, you know!

    (she is a law student though, so perhaps it's as well that she learns now, eh?)

    ST

     
  • At 2:14 pm, Blogger adem said…

    You will be happy to know that I bought a couple of flags yesterday for my car windows.

    I thought I'd fight against the oppression and show my true colours!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home