FLASHPOINT

Beware of the pixies!

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

"And I've fallen by the wayside now"

Greetings.

I've just spent the whole weekend being ill. What's that about? Ill at the bloody weekend. Madness.
I'm on the mend now though so fret ye not.

Before I get onto today's subject matter, I'd just like to share some wisdom imparted to me by my 7 year old son; The Boy.
This came totally out of the blue & is not something he & I have ever spoke about before...

"Dad, Americans think they're the best in the world, don't they?"
"Well, some do. They're not though, eh? Who are the best in the world then?" (Fully expecting him to say "we are" or words to that effect).
"Nobody is. All the people in the world are the same. I do like Americans, I just wish they didn't think they were better than everyone else"
My little boy is growing up so fast!

Anyway, is it just me or does anybody find themselves liking Keane just that little bit more today following the revalation that Old Chubbycheeks (Lead singer, Tom Chaplin) has checked into The Priory with drink & drugs problems?
That's more like it!











Surely it is the duty of our so-called rock stars to embrace (You listening Danny McNamara?) the whole sex, drugs & rock 'n' roll ethos.

They do it so we don't have to.*

And, let's be honest here, how many great, great records have been made by drug-assisted/addled (delete as appropriate) stars over the years.
Jim Morrisson, John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix, Marc Bolan, John Entwistle, Kurt Cobain, Freddie Mercury, Elvis, Sid Vicious, etc...
What?
They're all dead now? Ah...

Ok, good point.
Brian Wilson! Dave Gahan! Elton John! David Bowie! Iggy Pop! Pete Doherty!
Ha! Never did them any harm, eh?

Now has much as I'm quite partial to a spot of ColdplayKeaneEmbrace type music, all those sort of bands would surely benefit from a shot in the arm from another headspace, a different perspective. Imagine "X & Y & E" or "A rush of coke to the head" or... actually, forget all that, I've just remembered "Be here now".

Still, let's hope Old Chubbycheeks has some creative input on the next Keane album.

*As a self-confessed imaginary rock star, I try to do my bit.

11 Comments:

  • At 11:12 pm, Blogger LB said…

    I love the fact that the Keane website a couple of days ago were stating that they had to cancel a few shows after the V Festival as "Tom had been advised to take a break from performing...."

    by who? Betty Ford?

     
  • At 12:42 am, Blogger shorty said…

    Elvis is dead???

    The horror!

    Glad you are on your way to being a whole Flashman again.

    Kids do say the darnest things, that's for sure.

     
  • At 8:32 am, Blogger swisslet said…

    I'm struggling to imagine him on any kind of drug apart from some sort of agricultural one. I reckon he's so rural he drinks sheep dip.

    and an awful lot of shit records have been made on drugs. An awful lot.

    ...but I know what you mean.

    By the way, did you write Justin Timberlake's latest single? I was just listening to it, and it struck me as a very Flash sentiment!

    Are you bringing sexy back?

    If anyone can.... it isn't Timberlake.

    ST

     
  • At 8:43 am, Blogger Flash said…

    Swiss,
    Sexy never went away in Flash-land.

    Though I do appreciate the thought, mate.

     
  • At 6:11 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    You forgot Janis Joplin...oh, wait, yep, she's dead too.

     
  • At 7:53 pm, Blogger Stef said…

    "an awful lot of shit records have been made on drugs. An awful lot"
    Ah but some of the best records of all time have been made by perpetual abusers too...

    I mean, Led Zep, The Who, Stones... At the peak of their creativity they were all off their boxes on a daily basis.

    I wonder what Tom's hooked on. It's probably something lame like Eminem's sleeping tablet addiction.

    Ooh, by the way. The Boy is one smart lad. Sounds like you've got a good one there Flash

     
  • At 9:18 pm, Blogger Flash said…

    He's a chip off the old block, Stef!

     
  • At 7:03 pm, Blogger Mark said…

    Pete Doherty is a fucking cunt worthy only of instant bludgeoning. x

     
  • At 7:08 pm, Blogger Babs said…

    Brian Wilson??

    Oi!! How'd he make it on the list?!?!

    {Don't mind me, I suffer from acute 'I can't stand him-itis' :P }

     
  • At 10:36 pm, Blogger weenie said…

    Hope you are feeling better now!

     
  • At 12:40 am, Blogger Dzesika said…

    Um ... well ... *I* don't think I'm the best in the world, heheheh ...

    But I do like Keane.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home