FLASHPOINT

Beware of the pixies!

Monday, January 24, 2005

"It's bigger than a 10 ton truck"

Part two: Big cities & big shittys

"So Flash..."
"Yes Mr. Dull"
"I know this is a bit weird but..."
"What?" (in worried tone)
"Well, it's just that last night before I went to bed I had the biggest shit ever!"
"Me too!!!"
"It was truly massive"
"I know, I was almost proud of mine!"

And that's how my first morning in Uncle Sam's land started.
I would quite like to know if there is any scientific explanation for that phenomena or whether it was just a freaky co-incidence.

Around 9am this fella picked us up & took us for breakfast before we went to "work".
Mmmm, breakfast!
I absolutely loved eating over there but particularly breakfast!
It was at this oldy wordly type place (I can't remember the chuffing name, something barn, maybe?) I had pancakes & bacon & eggs & it was bloody scrummy. It also added to the fullness of the flavour of every meal we had that the company were paying for it (& all our drinks, fuel & accommodation).
We went to the plant & met our guide for the week, a smashing chap who I shall call Cool Big Guy. We actually enjoyed seeing the paint lines & different stuff that we don't do over here but it would be very boring for you guys. We later went out for lunch, which was this gorgeous roll thing with beef & cheese that they sent on a little conveyor belt through a little oven while we waited. Yum.

Back at the plant we were being shown round the waste water area when all of a sudden I felt a pain in the backs of my legs as something heavy hit them. It was a wooden pallet that had escaped the grasp of someone. That someone made his apologies (I wasn't hurt) & introduced himself as the Health & Safety manager of the plant! Smell the irony.

We left work about 4pm & I was given the keys to our chariot for the week ahead. It was a seven seater van type thing & it was mine until Monday. Mr.Dull doesn't drive.
We went back to the hotel for a bit & then went exploring Lima for a bit. We went to the mall where we got a few prezzies for the folks back home & then had a drink or two in the hotel bar before turning in.

The next day we went down to see the plants in Dayton, had a great lunch with a gang of really cool guys. Steak & chips for lunch? Don't mind if I do!

We were done after that & got back to the hotel about 2.30. After a very quick wash & brush up it was time for our first adventure. We drove down the I-75 to Cincinnati. We got there about 4.30ish. For the first time we were confronted by proper tall buildings & proper big city stuff. We found ourselves at the foot of the tallest building (whose name escapes me now) just as the last lift to the observation tower had come back down. Knackers!
Still we had a wander round & I found it to be a lovely place. Though I was confused by all the pigs!! I bought The Boy (who was only 11 months old at this point) a little Cincinnati redskins romper suit, it was soooo cute.
We had a drink in this place overlooking this big square where we had some pictures taken & had a brief chat with some visitors from Venezuela. Then we crossed over the river & into Kentucky. Here we had our evening meal at TGI Friday's. The place was on the bank of the river & offered a fantastic view of Cincinnati's skyline. We then went to this big mall place (Mr.Dull likes to shop) & then drove the 2 hours back to Lima.

On this journey the most unexpected thing happened. Mr.Dull & I held a good conversation. He opened right up about his recent relationship problems & the collapse of his marriage. (This was pre-Minx). I offered a little about the She Who Changed Everything saga but it was a night for Mr.Dull to talk & once he started there was no stopping him. Bless him, we did bond a little that night & for the rest of the trip at least, we would be friends.

To be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home