FLASHPOINT

Beware of the pixies!

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

"Singing we're gonna miss you when your gone"

Did anyone watch the Grange Hill thing on channel 4 last night?
I thought it was crap but it had one moment that really struck me on a personal level.
Way back when I were just a lad Fay Lucas from Grange Hill was the first girl I ever got mushy about. Ah, she was just so lovely, not like the girls in my school who were all invariably mean. She had lovely blond hair, blue eyes & a radiant little smile... & she still has! Only now she comes complete with breasts, a shapely bot & a cheeky glint in her eye! Excellent!

I have to tell you about Funny Dance. As you know, my baby making friend & his wife; They Used To Be Even Bigger recently had The Early Birds (Who should be coming home any day now, yay!). He already has 4 kids so the keen mathematicians amongst you will have figured out that makes 6. Add on to that the two adults & you've got one very crowded 3 bedroom house.
They Used To Be Even Bigger's folks have a five bedroom detatched house that they are looking to rent out as it's too big for them.
Obviously, they didn't need to look too hard for willing tenants.
There is however one big detail I haven't mentioned:

THE HOUSE IS IN FUCKING SOMERSET!!!!!
140 miles away from here.
Now I am a good friend & I can see clearly that this is a good opportunity for them, they need the room & I think they will all enjoy a fresh start. So I will give my full support to them.
That doesn't mean I have to bloody like it though does it?
It all seems a little bit wrong. When I moved to this shithole when I was 18, it was a big deal for me & for the family & friends I left behind in my home town of Wakefield (Just 10 miles from Leeds, Ka. Did you go there?). My circle of friends here had all been here for some years & Reckless was even born here.
So when Funny Dance departs for a life of carrot crunching & cider swilling, who is gonna be the only fucker left in this abyss of a town. Yup, just me.
It's not even like I can up sticks. Crapsville will be as much a hometown to my son as Wakefield is for me & I'm not going to move away from my little fella, no sirree.
There is no timeframe on the move yet but it all has to be sorted by September so the kids can start a new school. I'm so gonna miss the kids. Leeds Boy & LuLu (his first set of twins) are now 13. I've watched them grow up, I've been there from holding them as tiny babies to the teenagers they are now. As I'm sure you can imagine I've always been cool uncle Flash. I was just getting ready for the times when they would call on me if they'd had a row at home or if they needed some advice that they couldn't ask their parents. Now I'm gonna be lucky if I see them 3 or 4 times a year. They are gonna grow up into adults away from my gaze, it makes me sad. I'll miss all the kids, but I've always had a soft spot for those two.
It's just as crap as when Reckless & Dream Girl buggered off to Durham but at least then I still had Funny Dance here. I know Reckless & Dream Girl are only 16 miles away & I see them lots but it's gonna be really shit having nobody here on my doorstep.
What the fuck am I gonna do the next time I run out of petrol or my computer goes tits up??
It's not good.

Happily I do have some positives on the horizon.
This Saturday I should be spending the evening in London. I shall be, for the first time, actually meeting one of my fellow bloggers face to face! Flash & Charby are gonna be hanging out & no doubt getting quite blotto! I've just spoke to her on the phone. Strange to hear the voice behind the words. I am most excited though, it'll be really cool.

Then next Thursday night I shall be finishing work at midnight, jumping in my car, tootling off to Northampton where I will be meeting up with 3 guys from work. What are we doing in Northampton at that time of night, I hear you ask.
Going to see Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith that's bloody what!
The tickets are booked for the 12.30 showing & I'm now starting to get quite giddy about it.

Next Saturday is Cup Final day, Yay!
In world of Flash this means going to the pub just after lunchtime & drinking all day & all night.
You may recall that last year's cup final day ended in the prelude to the shag that ended my longest sex drought ever.

Here's hoping that history may just repeat itself.

------------------------------------------------

If you haven't already you really must go and read Adamant's story.
You must.

5 Comments:

  • At 8:05 pm, Blogger shorty said…

    I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOO jealous that I can't be with you and Charby on Sat. I told Charby that I have Fri off and have a Mmmmm free weekend. Why am I not on a plane???

    I want to hear all the details...I might even need to pick up the phone. Speaking of phones...Charbs told me she doesn't like to talk on the phone. Ugh. You are a special guy Flash to get to talk to her....again JEALOUS.

    Have a great time you too and think of me, and talk of me!!

    I know you both will blog about it. Hey, take pictures!!!

     
  • At 9:26 pm, Blogger Charby said…

    Hehehe!
    Was awesome to speak to you, if not a little strange!
    It's so bizarre, could you tell I was so nervous that I was giggling lots?
    Hope i didn't make too much of a fool of myself!
    Dancing round the house! Can't wait till Saturday!

     
  • At 4:55 am, Blogger shorty said…

    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!

    As I type this comment you are only 13 people away from 5000 visitors to your site.

    I remember when we were celebrationg 1000.

    My how you have grown.

     
  • At 5:40 am, Blogger Flash said…

    I bet you say that to all the boys!

     
  • At 8:54 pm, Blogger GJC said…

    Happy 5000, Flash!!!!! Woohoo!!!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home