FLASHPOINT

Beware of the pixies!

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

"...cos I'm not planning on going solo"

Work is very slow on The Album That Won’t Record Itself.
I’m currently working on a brand new tune. It’s a strange one for me as I’ve written the music first, with no melody or lyric at present. I don’t usually work that way, I usually have a melody & at least a partial lyric before I even start trying to put a track together. The new tune has a working title of “Groove” but I think it may well become “What is this real life you’re talking about?”
I did a bit on it yesterday & introduced some nice trumpet stabs to it.

Tonight, I’m moving the whole project forward in a very welcome manner. The idea of Gnu Cnu was that it was Reckless & I. The dynamic duo! Some songs were left off “Confessions of an idiot” because they needed real guitar on them. “Hate Farm” should probably have been one of those in hindsight. However, we did not have the technology to do real guitar last time out, so “Confessions…” became a solo album in reality.

Now I love Reckless dearly, he’s my bestest friend (along with Funny Dance, who I saw briefly on Thursday night, by the way) & Gnu Cnu has always been about him & I. The terrible truth is that Reckless is not that good a guitarist. He has problems keeping to a beat. In truth, he couldn’t keep time if his life depended on it. Both Dream Girl & Myself have spent a good 2 or 3 years gently trying to get him to grips with this problem. She bought him a metronome for his birthday one year, I gave him my old drum machine to play along with & have since installed software on his computer to help him along.
He hasn’t succeeded.
He hasn’t succeeded because he hasn’t tried.
That pisses me off a little. Actually it pisses me off a great deal. His lack of rhythm isn’t too much of a problem when we’re just jamming with the acoustic. I can & do compensate for any lapses. Obviously, when it comes to recording, mistakes are not acceptable.
Also, Reckless has never made any effort to devote any time to this or the previous project. That pisses me off too.

So, my hand has been forced…
Tonight, a work friend I’ve known for 12 years is coming round with his guitar. He’s a very talented guitarist & we did briefly try to start a band a few years back with another colleague. His blog name shall be QuietBoy, for that is what he is.

He has a copy of “Confessions…” & likes it, so he knows what kind of thing we’re up to.
I’m hoping he becomes deeply involved & that The Album That Won’t Record Itself will sound much more organic than “Confessions…” At the very least, I’m hoping that we can complete a lovely old song of mine called “Relentlessly” which is simply a guitar & voice number.

So, I guess I’m saying I feel terrible for abandoning Reckless but I can’t & won’t be held back.

Difficult second album? They’re not kidding!

5 Comments:

  • At 9:23 am, Blogger Cat said…

    Ooh, I'm intrigued - where do we hear your tunes then?

     
  • At 12:42 pm, Blogger adem said…

    This is all very rock & roll isn't it??

    It's annoying when you are both up for it and it's a shared thing, but one member doesn't actually put the effort in.

    I think you're doing the right thing though otherwise you'll never finish the album.

     
  • At 5:11 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    I love the working title! I can't wait to hear it.

     
  • At 12:44 am, Blogger Dzesika said…

    Ooh! Ooh! Second album! When are you going on tour?

     
  • At 6:48 am, Blogger Stef said…

    You should have no guilt in ditching Reckless, if he can't be arsed to actually become competent, then...

    The annals of rock and roll history are littered with tales of bands that only took off once they ditched the dead wood.

    OK, there's the case of the Beetles that took off after they recruited dead wood but they're the exception that proves the rule!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home