FLASHPOINT

Beware of the pixies!

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

"Quite some time ago when I was younger..."

Evening all.

So, today I have been inspired by the wonderlicious Cat.
She's been reflecting on what she was up to 10 years ago.

That's what I'm going to do too, I'm also gonna go back 20 years too, because I'm old enough.

So Ten things from ten years ago...

1. I was working in the same bloody place that I'm working now. I was a quality auditor back then, with a brightish future. Pah.

2. I was in my first year of marriage to Temper Tantrum, & was probably reasonably happy.

3. I enjoyed a fantastic holiday in Gran Canaria, where some truly smashing people were met.

4. I discovered what live music was really all about; jumping about & getting sweaty to some raucous guitar music. Highlights included Oasis at Knebworth & The Manics in Manchester with Super Furry Animals & an then unknown Stereophonics supporting.

5. My favourite albums of the year included Everything must go by the Manics, 1977 by Ash, A maximum high by Shed Seven & Coming up by Suede. Though I was a year late, I also discovered The Bends by Radiohead.

6. I was extremely worried about Dave Gahan & feared that Depeche Mode would never release another record ever again.

7. My favourite film of the year was Star Trek: First Contact, which is still undoubtedly the finest of all the Trek films.

8. My beloved Leeds United lost the league cup final 3-0 to Aston Villa. Shortly after the final whistle my phone rang. I answered with the words "Fuck off, you big nosed bastard!". Luckily for me it was my Villa supporting mate on the line & not my mum.

9. I met Dream Girl for the first time.

10. I looked like this (with my smashing sister)



















20 years ago...

1. I left school with little in the way of qualifications (not because I wasn't intelligent enough but because I spent most of my school life larking about & acting the goat. Right DOJ?) & found myself working in a tiny, antiquated sports shop in Ossett for £27.30 a week.

2. I lost my virginity to Horny As Hell. Ah, happy days, the thrill of the new, etc...

3. I went on holiday to Skegness with Gentle Giant & his family. It was a hoot.Bizarrelyy, 3 different girls on 3 differentoccasionss told me that I looked like George Michael!

4. I went to what was only my 2nd gig ever. Erasure at Bradford Uni, where me & my chums were lucky enough to meet Vince & Andy before the show.

5. My favourite albums of the year included Depeche Mode's Black Celebration (quelle surprise!), Erasure's Wonderland, Scoundrel Days by A-ha, Please by Pet Shop Boys, Notorious by Duran Duran & The Queen is Dead by The Smiths.

6. I performed on stage for the only time with Irrelevance. A duo that involved me writing, recording & singing everything while the other bloke stood around (hmm, see a pattern there?).
I also made some of my first recordings which included a song called "Backlash".

7. Oh dear, I'm going to look pretty dull here but my favourite film was Star Trek IV: The voyage home. Sorry.

8. Leeds United could have been doing anything they bloody well liked & I wouldn't have cared. I had no interest in football at all 20 years ago.

9. I met Funny Dance for the first time.

10. And I looked like this... (with my chums, including the DOJ on the right there)

7 Comments:

  • At 12:23 pm, Blogger adem said…

    Cracking photo atthe end mate. Very retro. I like.

    You have a very good memory for an old bloke!!! heh heh

     
  • At 12:33 pm, Blogger shorty said…

    Really!!

    Could you possibly get any better than this?

    I hope I'm still around for the next decade update.

    *hugs*

     
  • At 4:03 pm, Blogger Cat said…

    20 years ago I was listening to The Smiths, worrying about whether I'd ever grow boobs and when boys would start to like me.

    Not much has changed then...

     
  • At 7:40 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    10 years ago, I was madly in love with a man who would eventually become a priest.

    20 years ago...oh, gods! 20 years ago was high school. My parents told me that I dressed a bit like a bag lady.

     
  • At 9:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Shit jumper, but at least I had hair back then...and I was thinner :(
    It's a good photo though especially Ridgeley's (who is the one that Flash mentions in the Irrelevance bit doing nowt - guess how he got the nick!) pose behind the Gentle Giant.
    *sings "Oh happy days"

    PS Wrath of Khan is the best Star Trek film :-P

    PPS what's with the that Toadfish dude from Neighbours with your sis? ha ha

     
  • At 6:48 am, Blogger Stef said…

    Wow, that '86 pic is superb! I'll have to dig around and see if I can find one of me then.

    I was 13 at the time and so was mainly concerned with a solitary pursuit I'd rather not discuss in public! ;-)

     
  • At 12:14 am, Blogger Hyde said…

    Woah! What a picture! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home