FLASHPOINT

Beware of the pixies!

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

"Haven't seen your family tree in quite a while"

I had a bloody horrible cold on Wednesday & Thursday but my weekend was fine & dandy.

The Boy & I headed on up the M1 the visit the family in my newly acquired Flashmobile mk.43. I must try & do a look back at all my crap cars sometime.
Anyway, we arrived about tea-time, which meant Fish & Chips! Yay for proper Yorkshire Fish & Chips!
Shortly after that The Boy was off with his Auntie for the night & I was off with the grand old Duke of Jokes for the evening. We met at the train station, where we marveled at how incredibly stupid/fearless we were when we were kids who liked to play alongside the thunderous trains that would hammer past us. We were headed up to Leeds, a workmate of the DOJ was playing a gig in the city with his band & it was written that we should check them out. It was in a little bar full of people in black clothing & too much heavily applied make up. With the exception of the women who were inexplicably dressed as Little Bo Peep, whose clothes were red & blue.
It had been yonks since the DOJ & I had last met up so we had lots to natter about over a pint or 3 of Starosomething. The DOJ attracted the attentions of the hot barmaid with his iForward Russia t-shirt. He nearly summoned up the courage to get her number when she jotted down a list of local bands to look out for. Nearly.
The band, Cyberslide, came on & did their thing. They were by no means bad (unlike the sound system that did them no favours) but they perhaps should have been named Sub-NitzerModeOrder.
We then agreed to head back to Wakey to see out the nights drinking. So a short train ride later we were outside Mex (I think it's called that) with a couple of jars.
Not long after that the DOJ introduced me to a blast from the past. A fella who I was friends with at school. I hadn't seen him in 20 years, so I didn't recognise him straight away. It was very strange. We were never big mates but it was kind of nice to see him. It also gave me the opportunity to apologise for still having his OMD album that I borrowed from him (The Pacific Age).* His young companion looked very uncomfortable throughout & he hardly said a word. They soon left us to it & pottered off. Twas then that the DOJ told me that our old schoolmate has a bit of a taste for young men.
We then went to a club-type affair & proceeded to quaff ale & natter about anything & nothing for the rest of the night.
Then it was time for food where the DOJ was shellshocked to hear me say that I didn't want anything. I was kinda shocked myself actually but I had eaten two fish before coming out.
Twas, as always, a fine night in fine company. Cheers DOJ, see you at Crimbletide.

Saturday started with just a mild headache, which was nice. Then it was off to go & pick up my Mum's cake. Ooh I don't think I've said yet, but the primary reason for this trip to Wakey was to celebrate my Mum's 70th birthday. Anyway, the cake was splendid, but don't take my word for it...














I ummed & aahed about whether I should take The Boy to Elland Road for the first time to watch the once-mighty Leeds United. In a rare moment of financial prudence, I decided against it. Turned out to be a great decision as Leeds were whooped 4-0 by Stoke City in what the DOJ (season ticket holder for many a year) later described as "the worst performance I have ever seen". £50 saved there then!

Instead we played Chess & went into Wakefield for a look round the shops.

The evening came round which meant it was time for the family outing to what was, for us a least, a fairly posh restaurant. It was a nice evening & we all had a smashing time. OurKid's fella (who is waiting patiently at the name allocation counter) ordered ostrich. I had a taste & can confirm for you that it tastes almost exactly like beef but it's very, very chewy. Therefore, my advice would be; just have beef.
Here's the Family Flash in our finery...














At the end of the night, The Boy & I went back to OurKid's place. He was soon tucked up in bed, while OurKid, fella & I sat down for a game of Buzz on the playstation. It's a music quiz with buzzers & stuff which OurKid had earlier assured me that she always, always wins & that she would whoop my ass.
I won at a canter.
Then her fella & I shared a very potent spliff.
And we played again.
This time I struggled to put my bloody name in & was soundly thrashed.
Mmmm.

After that, they cracked open a new game that they hadn't played yet; SingStar. It's pretty much Karaoke, but it was hella cool! They had the SingStar Rocks edition & I was thrilled to see some of the tunes on offer. I went with Maximo Park's "Apply some pressure", amongst others. It was great fun.
Sometime after 2 we all called it a night.

Sunday was all a bit of a rush. Went to see Mum & give her prezzies & stuff, Nipped to the car boot sale (Star Trek: First Contact DVD for a quid!), Popped down to chez DOJ to pick up an avalanche of tuneage (more about that next time out), Did Wakefield to Crapsville in just over 90 minutes in a car that cost just £180 & returned home to spend the evening with my lovely girlfriend who had sadly caught the bloody horrible cold.
Poor Nice.
So I looked after her.

Twas a fine weekend.

*I feel the need to strongly state that this is not normal Flash behaviour. I know how much I bloody hate it when some fucker doesn't return something I've kindly lent to them, so I don't approve at all.

7 Comments:

  • At 8:51 pm, Blogger shorty said…

    Did you check your email?

    Sounds like a fine time, glad you got to spend some time with the family.

    The boy is getting so big and he looks more and more like his dad...poor thing....: ) Just kidding.

    ooooooo

     
  • At 10:17 pm, Blogger Charby said…

    that is possibly one of the best cakes ever ever ever ever!!

     
  • At 11:21 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    That cake was hella cool! It sounds like it was a wonderful weekend. And wow! a new Flashmobile.

     
  • At 12:01 am, Blogger swisslet said…

    is that your kid sister on the right in that photo? bloody hell mate - you didn't get all the good looks in your family then, eh?

    Sounds like a quality, quality weekend. I want to hear about the tuneage, and I want to hear your version of "apply some pressure".

    One for the Gnu Cnu live set, eh?

    You coming up for the bluetones or what?

    ST

     
  • At 12:00 pm, Blogger Cat said…

    *I feel the need to strongly state that this is not normal Flash behaviour. I know how much I bloody hate it when some fucker doesn't return something I've kindly lent to them, so I don't approve at all.

    I posted about this very thing just last week. It drives me MENTAL.

    Fab cake, by the way!

     
  • At 5:40 pm, Blogger Minx said…

    It sounds like you had a grand time with the family!

    That spliff does sound appetizing...hehe.

     
  • At 2:10 am, Blogger Cody Bones said…

    "How much for the little girl? Your women - how much for the women? The little girl your sister, sell them to me, SELL ME YOUR WOMEN"

    Joliet Jake Blues

     

Post a Comment

<< Home