FLASHPOINT

Beware of the pixies!

Monday, February 23, 2004

"it's easy to count your blessings, it's easy to soldier on..."

Back in the boiler house again! So I skived off work on Friday- tut tut. It allowed me to commence my blissful weekend of dossing 8 hours early. I say blissful but in fairness dull but refreshing would be a better description. Reckless & Dream Girl got engaged on Friday. He bought a ring & everything, bless him. There’s no real cause for a big hoo hah because they’ve lived together like husband & wife for over 5 years & I cant see them actually getting round to it for years. Still, bless ‘em. I am truly happy for them & we all got drunk on Friday, which was nice.
On the dating front I have this weekend received 2 (yes 2!) messages. We’ll call them A & B for now. Both sound nice though I probably favour A at present purely because B is 5 foot 10 & I’m a good 3 inches short of that! I have both of their mobile numbers so when it’s a reasonable time I shall commence my charm offensive. Hopefully at least a date should come out of it, which will be great. Just meeting someone new will be a pleasure. So much cause for optimism.
Remember the Leeds result from a couple of weeks ago & that our next game was Man Utd away? Well, we only came away with a very creditable point after a 1-1 draw. Go on! Football is sometimes a strange beast. Reckless is a Nottingham Forest supporter & for several years now he has had to endure endless goads from me & Funny Dance about their lowly status in division 1 while my boys have been in the upper echelons of the premiership & enjoying many a European adventure (Champions league semi finals only 3 years ago). So he has been enjoying every second of our spectacular collapse (& so he should) & relishing the very real prospect of Leeds being relegated to division 1. Funny thing is, Forest are firmly planted in the bottom 3 & are staring into the abyss that is (Cue; thunderclaps & Vincent Price cackling) Division 2! Oh how I would laugh if we stay up & they don’t. Ha ha, & he’s been waiting so long to get one over on me. I certainly don’t see myself writing a lot about football but I will have to chronicle the progress of both sides as the season draws ever closer to it’s end.All being well I should be going to see Easyworld tonight. They’re at the Soundhaus in Northampton, so it should be nice & easy. Somewhat bizarrely I haven’t been able to mention it at home. Dream girl & the lead singer became quite "close friends" last year & now she doesn’t want to go & see them. If Reckless were to know they were in town he would be very puzzled as to why Dream Girl doesn’t want to go, Dream Girl doesn’t want to answer any awkward questions so the upshot is I have to go on my own & cant talk about it. Odd. Easyworld are an exceptional band & they are intrinsically linked with the whole Dream Girl & me thing. Lyrically, I don’t think another band has ever come so close to actually replicating my own feelings through their songs. I think he has shared the pain of not being able to let go of that special someone who cant or wont be with you. Their new album “Kill the last romantic” which came out a couple of weeks ago (although Dream Girl had it sent to her last summer so I’ve had it since then) could almost be a concept album about the two of us. “Til the day”, “Saddest song”, “When you come back, I wont be here”, “Goodnight” & the breathtakingly beautiful “Tonight” all could’ve come from my heart. I think Dav & I are perhaps very alike. I think he’s an exceptional talent & I’ll be there tonight singing along to every word. There was of course the whole London thing too but that was last year. Last year + detail = undiscussable. As I shall remind myself in 7 days time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home