FLASHPOINT

Beware of the pixies!

Sunday, October 10, 2004

"It's just a question of time"

So on Friday I went over to hang with my buddies. To my sursprise they had some wiz so it would've been rude not to, eh? We had a fine time, they were honestly impressed by the quality of my new recordings. Reckless (bless him) never really pays much attention to the lyrics although I don't take that for granted, but it can be quite odd when the inspiration for the lyric is Dream Girl. This is the case with "Never enough" & "We both know". Then we had a jam, we did several tunes & I make no bones of the fact I was on tip-top form & sounded ace. I really excelled on "Haunted" which is my quintessential song about Dream Girl. They have told me many times that the song is a classic & would be recognised as such if it ever made it into the public domain. I have to agree.
Then we just sat & talked about stuff, at one point we disagreed about something. We proceeded to debate the topic for the next 8 hours without ever getting to any sort of resolution. Honestly, we just carried on all night & some of the morning without (somewhat ironically) noticing the passing of time. That's wiz for you.
So the point in question was thus: Is time a constant, i.e the same all over the universe.
Reckless & Dream Girl were firmly entrenched with the opinion that yes it is, while i said no it isn't.
The premise for my argument was that time is dependent on things happening, it is a measurement of the distance between events. So here in our very busy part of the universe things are always happening so therefore time can always be seen to be passing. On top of that we as a race have been clever enough to notice that certain things happen at specific intervals & from that we have devised our own way of measuring "time"- Years, days, hours, minutes, etc
Now elsewhere in the universe where there is not a large amount of matter & events happened less often surely time itself would be different.
The point I kept reiterating (I'm still dumbfounded that this didn't swing it) is that if one could observe one of these points in space & nothing happened at all how could you measure any kind of "time" as no events would have occurred.
A hour would still be an hour the second hand on my watch would still show seconds passing so if I watched for an hour I'd have been watching for an hour irrespective of whether anything actually happened.
No, an hour would have passed on earth. Where nothing has happened there as been no noticeable change of events so everything is still in the state it was , therefore no time has passed at all.
An hour would've passed, I would of felt the passing of it
Yes because literally millions of events would have happened in & around you that would have noticed by yourself & logged by your brain to show the passing of time. Imagine you are somehow watching this nothing without your presence being a part of it. Nothing has happened at all, How long have you been there?
An hour
AAAARRRGGHHHH...

And so it went on, now obviously I have presented this argument in a way that is very heavily biased towards me. It's my blog, ha!

No tempers were lost but we all got quite exasperated with each other.
Anyway if there any scientific minds reading who would like to clear this up, be my guest.

One of my regular readers has asked that she been given a groovy name like everyone else, who am I to deny her?
Speaking of readership, I consider Stickybuns, Charby & The Duke of Jokes (hiya mate!) to be my core audience. It's wonderful to know that I am not talking to myself. However I feel a need to expand, to grow, to dominate the world! So if there is anyone else who reads but doesn't comment then say hello. To my magic 3some above I say "spread the word" & to myself I sigh knowing that I'm going to have to take a "next blog" odyssey.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:27 pm, Blogger Charby said…

    I'm doing my best!
    Just a shame that I only have three "regulars" too!

     
  • At 5:37 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I guess you got my text on Sat. night then?
    I was getting wrecked on Staropramen (£13.99 case of 24!) and spinning my 80's 12s and found that Kaja one!
    I guess I should start my own blog to write about this sort of crap shouldn't I?
    what's that you say, "Shouldn't Do That"?! *WINK*

     
  • At 8:13 pm, Blogger Flash said…

    You, my old mate, would make a fine blogger! especially after 24 cans of strappinglad or whatever it is!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home