FLASHPOINT

Beware of the pixies!

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

"You sent me to Toledo, Toledo, Toledo"

Part 3: Getting drunk in the states is no different to getting drunk at home.

Thursday we were up with the lark as MY van was commandeered to take a posse of work people to our Toledo facility for the Emergency response seminar. Which, in all honesty, was much more fun than it sounds. There was this funny little guy from the DTA who was most entertaining, if a little mental. Of course, I had my obligatory "make the whole room laugh" moment, which I cannot remember how.
It had been planned since our arrival that Thursday would be the big piss up night. It had been a long day in Toledo & I certainly couldn't be arsed to drive anywhere.
We started out by having a great big meal of the biggest steak I've ever seen accompanied by a nice big two pint jug of beer. We then went on to another sports bar type place but that was dead. Then we found a little dive bar but it had some life in it, sadly it was almost closing time. The very hot barmaid suggested a nearby club & who were we to argue. It was called something like The Gator. We got a cab which we unwittingly shared with some locals. I was ok in the front but Mr.Dull ended up squashed in the back with them. They were a bit loud & one of them started making comments about the way we spoke "like Columbus freaks". I bit my tongue. Then someone said "Why don't you boys speak proper English?"...
Regular readers will know that this made my blood boil. I turned round, face contorted with indignation, ready to fly. Just before I unleashed my fury I noticed Mr.Dull's face pleading with me not to do anything rash. I bit my tongue again & turned back to face the front.
When we got to the club Mr.Dull told me he was petrified in the back of the cab & reminded me that we were in a land where Joe Bloggs could well be carrying a gun.

In the club, we proceeded to get well plastered. Mr.Dull managed to pull a nice girl & they had a bit of a snog. I drank. I also nearly peed my pants with excitement when I heard the familiar intro to NIN's "Closer". Wow! I had never heard NIN played in a club before & it was ace!
After my dull friend said his goodbyes to his beau, we got a cab back to the hotel & that was that.
The next day involved a brief visit to work & then the start of our weekend adventure.

Again this took us first of all to Toledo.

To be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home