FLASHPOINT

Beware of the pixies!

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

"If I ask you difficult questions..."

As often is the case, this post has been inspired by my beloved pod.
"A design for life" by Manic street preachers came on earlier. Chuffing marvelous song & the first time I'd ever paid any attention to the Manics despite the fact they had been on the scene for a good 4 or 5 years.
The reason for this is where I'm going today...

Silly little prejudices.

I didn't like the Manics & willfully ignored their presence on my musical radar for the following reasons:
I did not like the name,
I did not like the way they looked,
I had read a quote or soundbite from Nicky Wire & decided they were twats.

I hadn't however listened to any of their music (though I had heard "Motorcycle emptiness" which I begrudgingly labeled as alright).
Still I stood by my judgement until "A design for life" made me re-evaluate my "wisdom", a process that centered upon giving myself several slaps round the head.
Incidentally, "The holy bible" is now one of my fave albums ever.

It's not only been music where I've allowed SLPs to get in the way of an enriching experience.

Let's try films. Rewind to about 1990 & earwig in on this conversation between a colleague & I:
Colleague: Have you ever seen Die Hard?
Flash: No. I don't like those stupid shoot 'em up, violent films. They are all crap.
C: Are you for real? Die Hard is fantastic. So are...(several other action films of the time)
Flash: I don't like them & I don't understand how people do with all that shooting, fighting & loss of life.
Wasn't I just precious??

Anyway, a year or two later I found myself grudgingly (notice a theme here?) sitting in front of Die Hard 2 with Funny Dance. Of course, it rocked my world. What fabulous entertainment! A day or two later I watched the first one which, as we all know, is infinitely better than it's sequel.
Die Hard is now my favourite ever film that doesn't contain any spaceships.

It doesn't stop there. When I was just 16 or 17 I found myself in the company of a girl. As kids of that age do, we ended up getting a bit rude. As I was removing her lower undergarments she gushed to me with all the romance a young buck needs: "You can do anything you want to me, just don't make me pregnant".
Green light!
However I got stuck on amber.
When confronted by the bright orange thatch of pubic hair I found myself suddenly not really wanting to go any further. So I didn't.
Daft twat.
Unlike the Manics or Die Hard, I've never had the opportunity to right that particular wrong.

So I'm intrigued to know am I the only feckless idiot to be swayed by Silly Little Prejudices or do any of you guys suffer the same affliction?

Do tell.

7 Comments:

  • At 7:39 am, Blogger Dzesika said…

    SLPs? I used to work as a classical music critic. That's about as close to the epicentre of SLP-ness as you can get.

    Why don't we live in a world where Bartok and Bowie get along?

     
  • At 4:14 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    Mystery novels...still hold pretty firm to this, except in rare exception. And movies that have zombies. Zombies don't seem menacing enough (although I do want to see Sean of the Dead).

     
  • At 4:50 pm, Blogger Charby said…

    I refuse to watch any film that can be described as a "chick-flick" or a musical..
    But I love "When Harry met Sally", "Beaches" and "My Best Friends wedding."
    Musicals are still shite though...

     
  • At 5:21 pm, Blogger Hyde said…

    Won't do romantic comedies. In my experience--nothing funny about romance.

     
  • At 7:00 pm, Blogger Mike Davis said…

    SLP's?

    Cats.

    The way they swagger around all over the place, they think they're so bloody cool!

    Bastards.

    Oh yes, Leonardo DeCaprio, too.

     
  • At 8:44 pm, Blogger GJC said…

    I once had an SLP against Nirvana, considering it targeted many years below my sophistication level.

    Funny, since it ended up being the band that changed my life.

     
  • At 9:20 pm, Blogger shorty said…

    Mushrooms....Let's face it they are marinated in shit! That is why I never touched them until a few years ago. Now, I'll eat that shit any day and way!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home