FLASHPOINT

Beware of the pixies!

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

"Liberte, egalite, au jour d’hui c’est tres tres tres, Voici l’opportunite nous incroyables"

How long d'you reckon I can keep up the french lyrics eh?

It's all tres bien!

You know those times when you just can't help smiling?
Tonight has been like that.

Since I finished work I've been to a bar with le grand gaffer. It was quite fascinating, he was telling tales of his days in the army. He fought in the Falklands war & he was awarded the milartary cross by the Queen for some heroics in Oman. It kinda goes against my whole belief system but I couldn't help being impressed by his stories. I'm sure he'll regale me with some more tomorrow as it's only me & him here from Blighty til Friday.

He had to retreat to the hotel to take part in a conference call which allowed me to wonder about on my own for the evening. Marvellous!

I went for a walk, complete with woolly hat (cos it's bloody freezing) & my trusty I-pod feeding me "American idiot". Oh it was so wonderful. I walked to Bellacour, which is a kind of central square in this beautiful city, I took mental photographs as I walked which I'd love to share with you ( I actually have access to a digital camera at the weekend, so watch this space!) & I eventually found a bar where I joined the amassed throng to watch Real Madrid take on Lyon (See, I'm right with you Red!). I gave up at half time as I wanted to come here and post, plus I could do with an early-ish night.

I then went to McDonalds where I resisted the urge to order a Royale with cheese (Sorry Adem!) & went for a Bacon royale ( sans salade, au naturellement!). I then crossed back over the river Rhone, bought some shampoo & some pan au chocolatè & found myself here again! I have to check in with you guys if for no other reason than to remind myself that I am still Flash & not "Neeek"!

I'm really looking forward to the weekend so I can actually see the whole city at my leisure & to see it in daylight.

Now some points I should address;
Sunshine- Smoking? I'm weak, ok??
Alecya- vous ez tres buea, mon cherie!! Oui, Francais es sexy, non?
Monsiuer Mystic- Sadly I did finally see a minger today but I reckon she was German!!!
Scully- Inferior?? Mais non! I reckon Paris suited you!
Hammer- Snails? NON!!!!
Gladys- I like being called baby!! And French keyboards differ in several ways. For instance The Q & the A are in each others places, as are W & Z & get this, the full stop is over on the numbers bit, it's driving me potty ( especially the bloody aphostrophe being on the 4 key!!!)
Spins - Only a million times!? You lightweight!! I must be upto a gazillion by now!
P'tit loup - They sure do!! And pernicious is a fine word.
Bee - I didn't know that! I do however know that my French phrase book translates mon vieux as My Old!! What you trying to say???
Adem - "so a few fags here doesn't really matter", that's what Le Flash wants to hear!!
Red One - Allez Lyon indeed! though they were one-nil down at half time when I left, and shameful as it is, I didn't take kindly to the madding crowd slating our own Mr. Beckham. I nust have had one too many 1664s, eh?

Bon sour Mon Amis, Je t'aime!

8 Comments:

  • At 10:47 pm, Blogger Alecya G said…

    Merci, flash. Le Français est sexy. Quand venez-vous pour visiter alors ? ;)

    Good to see you are enjoying yourself Flash. I would love to go to France. Unfortunately, as demonstrated above, I am a bit of a Vache Espagnol. (I don't speak french well) Looking forward to the pics.

    And "le" or not, you'll always be "Flash. Don't forget it. :)

     
  • At 3:49 am, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    Okay, silly, that lyric could easily have been split into two (unless there's a rule about not having more than one lyric from the same song).

    I'm so glad you had walk-about. It sounds lovely. I'm dying to see pics.

     
  • At 9:12 am, Blogger LB said…

    you've always got "Joe Le Taxi" and "Voyage Voyage", both sources of fine and inspirational French song lyrics.

    ahem.

     
  • At 10:17 am, Blogger Teresa Bowman said…

    Monsieur Flash, I was not implying that you're an old codger. "Mon vieux" is kind of like "old chum", I guess. Although I just found an interesting snippet on t'Web that equates it to "dude":

    I've come across "dude" when subtitling American films/TV series, and I often chose to not translate it. I just don't think there is an appropriate equivalent in French. The best solutions I can think of, in some cases, are mon pote or mon vieux, but these two expressions just aren't as flexible in their meaning as "dude", which can be used to express a variety of emotions. For a start, you couldn't use them on their own, they generally end a sentence : "Ça va, mon pote?" ("are you ok, dude?"), "Tu veux aller boire un coup, mon vieux?" ("fancy going for a drink, dude?").

    So there you go. I was calling you dude, dude!

     
  • At 11:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Glad your enjoying the city. I'm wrestling with a moth-trucker of headaches at the moment, and I haven't touched a drop. Sadly.

    I kinda have to go with Scully on the MaccieD's. But to be fair, when I was in Holland I ate at an Argentinian restaurant, so I think you can be forgiven on not eating "French" straight away.

     
  • At 5:09 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    you didn't attach the lyrics, you plank! send'em again!

     
  • At 8:34 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Falklands War???

    Thats like calling Mr_Mystic v's Lennox Lewis, a fight.

     
  • At 8:23 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    technically war was never declared, so it remains a "conflict", fact fans.

    ST

     

Post a Comment

<< Home