FLASHPOINT

Beware of the pixies!

Saturday, November 05, 2005

"Mr.Writer, why don't you tell it like it really is?"

I was checking my stats today & this picture made me sad...


It says much more than I can.

So it's time for some changes. I know the layout is still a blog-standard template but it's about all I know how to do.

Thanks for suggestions of what to do (especially Brock) but I've decided I'm staying right here.
I'm going to have some trust in Delusions of Grandeur's integrity. I'll speak with him on Monday about keeping it to himself, though I don't really feel I need to, he's been aware of the blog for yonks & doesn't appear to have shared his find.


I also feel the need for a little blog manifesto.
Just to help myself get back on track a bit.

1. Commitment is only a dirty word in relation to relationships.
It was always easy to find time to blog in quieter, lonelier times. And I had the opportunity to blog from work when I was on lates.
Well, things have changed.
Blogging time is at a premium, so I have to be committed and set aside some quality time for my blog or it will wither & die.
Which I won't let happen.

2. Comments are not love.

3. Content is my decision.
The number of times I have not gone with a post because "I've already banged on about Depeche Mode once this week" or "I can't talk about that because (insert reader/readers here) may not like that" is silly. As much I love having, dare I say, devoted readers I can't allow myself to cater to individuals or groups when writing. It has to be what I really want to say otherwise there's little point, eh?
Likewise people from "real" life who read here do so at their own risk, if you think you may not like what you read, don't read. These are my often very personal thoughts & opinions, I will not be silenced. I need this.

4. The past is a great thing.
I must make an effort to tell more tales from yesteryear. I always enjoy writing them & I love their being a record of such events. I've also got the impression that they are well liked by readers too, so when in doubt, whip a story out!

5. Reading and writing are two different things.
I've been feeling terribly guilty lately that I've not been keeping up date with all the blogs I read. Sometimes it takes me a couple of hours to get through everything. It does suck by the way, I hate missing out!
Point being, I find myself being put off from posting just because of the amount of time involved in the whole malarkey. As Dr. Robert once crooned; It doesn't have to be this way.
If I have be a bit more selective about what I read in order to post more often then so be it.


Well there's my rather hastily constructed blueprint for better blogging here at World Of Flash.

Righto, now The Boy is off for the rest of the weekend & Nice has just arrived.
*Sigh* Duty calls, more sex & drugs & Rock 'n Roll.

*winks*

12 Comments:

  • At 4:14 pm, Blogger LavaLady said…

    Great manifesto. Cleaning house is a good thing, getting your head straight about something even better.

    Have a good weekend.

     
  • At 4:17 pm, Blogger sunshine said…

    More???

    How can you possible have more ROCK N'ROll? LOL

    Ok, well I like your blog no matter what. Statistics suck. It's winter time. It will pick up. I'm pretty confident we all still check in. We don't hang out as long because there aren't updates often.

    Glad to see you back in your prime.

    Need a glass of wine? : )

     
  • At 4:27 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    I love the new digs, very sleek, very rock'n'roll!

    And Yay! for the manifesto. That #2 is a bitch, init?

    Blog on, Flashman!

     
  • At 10:09 pm, Blogger Charby said…

    Flashy-washy-wishy how did you change all that bit about your comments box? Rather than just have boring "4 comments" to the funkedupness of what it is now?
    I dont understand it when I've tried to do it myself?

     
  • At 1:16 am, Blogger GJC said…

    Yeah, how DID you do that?? Mucking about with templates, I'm sure, but where in the template?

    Nice look for you, by the way, and I'm sorry I missed all the drama; I would have voted for the bunnies as well.

    Stats are just a quick way to make yourself miserable. (Doesn't stop me from looking at them, though.)

    My verification word is "kqahhh", which is the sound the bunnies make when they drink human blood. Make of that what you will.

     
  • At 3:22 am, Blogger Turners in the Country said…

    Ahhh, that's one of my favorite Phonics songs...

    I like the new black background, it's very stylish. I tried doing a black background on mine but it hurt my eyes after a while. I'm weird.

    I've been struggling to find the time to blog and visit blogs lately too, so I'm hoping your manifesto and determination will inspire me!!

     
  • At 5:42 am, Blogger Hyde said…

    Hey Flash,

    A few things-- I did successfully move my blog to a "secret" address this summer (before I moved it back), so if you want to do it and can't figure it out, email me. But in terms of your manifesto, I've been thinking a lot about all of this too--especially #2 and #3. You started your blog for yourself, as did I, but it's easy to start writing for other people and letting their opinions and appearances in the comment section take on too much weight. In my case, I have been feeling obliged to defend my relationship with Narc over and over. In reality, I don't owe anyone an explanation, and my blog is there just for me--not for my readers. I think that when you write for yourself, it comes across and people like to read it more anyway.

    I like the new template. And everything goes in cycles. I have no doubt that your statistics chart will soon be peaking again!

    :)

    more hugs!

    Hyde

    PS: the fact that Delusions of Grandeur knew that you didn't want him to find the blog, but continued to look for it makes him sort of an asshole. It's a total invasion of privacy. Grrr!

     
  • At 9:32 am, Blogger LB said…

    don't let statistics mislead you, my friend. You're not going to prove anything with a clever bloody graph.

    To paraphrase a bloody rubbish film:

    first rule of blog club: write whatever you damn well like

    second rule of blog club: see first rule

    etc.

    and if you use a Sterophonics lyric again, I'm off. Just so we're all clear.

     
  • At 2:59 pm, Blogger Erika said…

    Pay particular attention to the "comments are not love" section, Flashy. This is about the eight post (in some time, admittedly) in which you've fretted about how many comments you receive. Remember that commenting has more to do with the other people than it does to do with you and your blog: our personal preoccupations have no reflection on your writing. I, for one, have become utterly delinquent at both writing in my blog and commenting in other blogs, but I still swing by periodically. Just keep writing.

    There's my ten cents worth, anyway. (I'm Canadian, so none of this "penneth" nonsense for me. Good old fashioned dimes will do just fine.

     
  • At 5:35 pm, Blogger red one said…

    Flash - that's a clever idea to have a blog manifesto. I'm always wondering why I have my blog, what to do about blogworld and all that, but it never occurred to me to sort out some rules.

    red

     
  • At 7:31 pm, Blogger Mark said…

    you can get STATS?

     
  • At 8:20 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    those stats show the page views falling, but the number of visitors looks steady to me. What are you griping about?

    ST

     

Post a Comment

<< Home