FLASHPOINT

Beware of the pixies!

Friday, March 10, 2006

"...if you sing to me in French"

At the time when I started composing this post I have been home from France for almost exactly one week (to the minute).

Now I am happy to be home & to regain a sense of normalcy to my life, but I am really missing a lot about Lyon.
For instance:
  • CunningLinguist & ShutYourMouse
  • Speaking French (even if it was a tiny amount)
  • Wandering the streets in awe at how beautiful the place is (nothing, not even a lorryload of mind altering substances, could make that possible in Crapsville)
  • Pretty girls in every direction
  • Flying
  • Feeling important (ish)
  • Not having to worry about money at all
  • The feeling of utter contentment I used to get just wandering around the city with my i-pod, smiling to myself.
  • The Smoking Dog, The St. James' & the Indian restaurant
  • My "Le"
  • Etc.

I also find myself getting very defensive of the French. As always, there have been the little stereotypical jibes at the French in the paper this week. And they make me cross.

Lyon, can you hear me?
I miss you!

11 Comments:

  • At 1:56 pm, Blogger Alecya G said…

    Oh, that's so sweet! But certainly there are things that make you happy to be home as well, eh?

     
  • At 3:24 pm, Blogger shorty said…

    Yes, back to reality...SUCKS.

    I'm missing you for some reason. Hard to miss something you never had, isn't it?

     
  • At 4:46 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    I don't know what to say. I wish I could give you a hug.

    Okay - I do know what to say. I think that your reaction speaks volumes about the kind of person you are and the things that are important to you - beauty, relationships with others, feeling respected by others, and a good time. (The financial solvency thing is pretty universal.)

     
  • At 5:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've always got on just shiny with the French so I shall join you in that foxhole.

    I know you're missing Lyon...but look at your shiny new banner!

     
  • At 7:01 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I miss you too Flash.

     
  • At 10:40 am, Blogger Mark said…

    I have a little crush on a beautiful French Girl, but an even bigger one on my wife.

     
  • At 4:37 pm, Blogger Jessica said…

    can you go back there?ty

     
  • At 12:18 am, Blogger swisslet said…

    it's funny isn't it? Ever since I have been going out with C. (who has dual nationality), I have become much more sensitised to the way the English talk about the French - we are casually racist. I'm sure most people don't mean it, but they really are being racist. All that "surrender monkey" shit seems funny, and the newspapers talk about it all the time, but if you spend any time with the French, it's really hurtful and for me, very embarrassing.

    For the record, the French can also be very rude about the English. They say, for example, that we are all "pedede comme des phoques" - as gay as seals - and they like to talk about how we "ran away" at Dunkirk. So it's not just the English. That doesn't make it any more forgiveable, but it says something about the human condition, eh?

    Vive la difference.

    ST

     
  • At 3:49 pm, Blogger weenie said…

    Hehe, I think I'll have a similar list when I'm finished with Stockholm!

    Would you go back to Lyon for a holiday?

     
  • At 5:19 pm, Blogger Flash said…

    Oh I shall definitely be going back to Lyon at some point.
    Deffo.

     
  • At 11:22 pm, Blogger LB said…

    oh come on, they're a nation of grumpy cowards with an inability to queue.

    And their cars are made of balsa wood and cheese.

    c'est tout.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home