FLASHPOINT

Beware of the pixies!

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

"Just banging tunes..."

Before I get to the gist of today's offering may I just say thanks for the smashing piccys that are coming in for the "red carpet" &, to gee up those of you who have not sent one in it, Don't be shy; Get them in!

Whilst I have been in exile over here in France I have been pretty much immune to the tsunami of hype that I'm told has accompanied the arrival of the debut album from Britain's new favourite band; Arctic Monkeys.
I did however hint to Temper Tantrum that the CD could be a nice birthday gift from The Boy. She seemingly agreed & The Boy proudly gave me said CD as a prezzie.
So, 10 days in, what do I think?

I think that it's abso-chuffing-lutely bloody brilliant. I have been able to listen to nothing else. I read the band described as "a missing link between The Smiths & The Streets". I couldn't agree more. I adore the album. Anyone who hasn't succumbed yet should give it a go, I'd be very surprised if it disappointed.

It's actually one of 3 new CDs I have obtained recently. Not having the ability to download has meant going back to ye good olde record shop from day's of yore. The other 2 are The Strokes' "First impressions of earth" which I've found mostly uninspiring so it won't stand a chance against the lads from Sheffield when it comes to my listening time & "Amber" by Clearlake which I got on Saturday & has sounded pretty good on first listen. Clearlake will get a good chance eventually because they are a band I really like, but for now...

"Put on your dancing shoes you sexy little swine..."

5 Comments:

  • At 5:08 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    Arctic Monkeys have even made it across the pond (although I'm not sure their CD is out yet here) and is playing on the station I listen to. The tune they play is very danceable (which is difficult since I'm in my car when I listen to the radio)!

     
  • At 6:14 pm, Blogger shorty said…

    Howdy!

     
  • At 8:58 pm, Blogger Alecya G said…

    I like them as well, though I have only heard the "Dancefloor" single. Still, I like it. Puts me in a good mood. And the lyrics are great. Maybe its the part of me that likes terrible pop, but there's something about the phrases "making eyes" and "dreams of naughtyness" that get me going.

    :)

     
  • At 10:13 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's a decent album but
    The Cribs - The New Fellas
    is better and, of course, they're from sunny Wakefield ;)

     
  • At 10:18 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    DOJ - that's who opened up for Kaiser Chiefs here in SF! So I actually know them!

    And they were quite good.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home