FLASHPOINT

Beware of the pixies!

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

"A big problem to resolve"

I simply have to talk about tonight's Spain Vs. England football match.
There is much to discuss.
Firstly, in all the years I have been watching football I have never seen such an inept display by the national team. They were hopeless & hapless. In the whole game we never managed to get a single shot on target, the passing was woeful & we were totally outclassed. The only player who looked anything like an international footballer was Wayne Bridge. Not to take anything away from the Spanish who were very good.
Next, Wayne Rooney. How worrying is it to see our most exciting & exceptional talent being nothing short of being a nasty, little bastard. Is it a co-incidence that his suspect temperament has got worse since he's become a Manchester United player?
Then, 12 subs used. The second half was an absolute farce. Both teams struggled to find any coherence as the personnel changed with alarming frequency. It's worth remembering that the fan's pay good money to watch this sport. They are not getting value for money when the managers take the point out of the contest.
Finally, England's black players were subject to deplorable racist abuse throughout the game from large sections of the Spanish crowd. It's 2004, I thought the days of monkey noises were long gone. Recently the Spanish manager was in the news for describing Arsenal's Thierry Henry as "that black shit", I'm sure that kind of attitude only encourages the sickening scenes seen tonight. To be honest though, it shocks me that this happens in Spain. Though it is unacceptable wherever it happens, we are almost used to it when it rears it's ugly head in the less sophisticated backwaters of eastern Europe, but Spain?
Along with most of my countrymen, I have holidayed in Spain several times. It is Britain's favourite holiday destination with tens of thousands of us flocking there every summer. I have always enjoyed my time there & found the Spanish people to be friendly & welcoming. Now I have to wonder if that would be the case were I black.
I have been left very saddened.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home