FLASHPOINT

Beware of the pixies!

Thursday, November 04, 2004

"He thought my team was Leeds cos I sat right at the back"

Some years ago I found myself in a dire financial mess of calamitous proportions. I had hidden all the evidence of the problems from Temper Tantrum. I got to a point where I would have to get the mail before her so as to continue hiding the true depth of the strife. Ultimately (& inevitably) I had to confess to my deception & the horror we were now facing. After the tears, the shouting & the disappointment she then stood firmly at my side & we took our problems as a team as I should have allowed us to in the first place. For richer for poorer, for better for worse.
I learned from that experience & once I'd told her I felt an almighty weight lifted from my shoulders. I had been under severe pressure for months & it was a beautiful feeling of relief to wave all that pressure goodbye.
So why am I telling you all this? Today I had the opportunity of being able to use that experience to benefit one of my very best friends. He has found himself right where I was.
We had a good chat today & got to the bottom of his issues which he has been keeping from everyone, and using my experiences I helped him figure out what he has to do next. It was quite a rare feeling but today I felt like I justified the title of best friend.

Work on the "album" continues at a blistering pace, I have today started the preparation for "Leave the poor girl alone". I have also been strongly considering The Duke Of Jokes' suggestion of resurrecting one of my ancient songs, probably "Backlash". I figure a good song is a good song no matter how old the composer. I was 15 when I wrote "Backlash", George Michael was 16 when he wrote "Careless whisper" & it's arguably still his best. So perhaps the likes of "Backlash", "State of confusion", et al should not be consigned to the dumper just yet.

With my pitiful excuse for a football team languishing near the bottom of the "championship" (NOT the premiership, for the benefit of my army of overseas readers) I find myself looking at the clubs in the prem for one I can half support on Saturday nights. There are several clubs that are strictly not acceptable for consideration due to their status as our (former) rivals. So that's Man U, Liverpool, Newcastle, Chelsea & Arsenal gone.
I've tried for the sake of Charby to have some sort of affection for Charlton but A) My inherent northern-ness & B) The fact that they're pretty useless prevent me from doing so.
Same goes for Norwich, who I've always had a soft spot for.
Common sense tells me I should look to the midlands, as that's where I live. Alas I know too many supporters of Villa & Birmingham & I wouldn't want to be associated with them!
As for West Brom, Come on?
So leaves few options, I like Bolton but they're from Lancashire.
So that leaves me only one reasonable option, one where I can watch 2 of Leeds' great former strikers. Do know who it is yet?

So here we go...
Part 1 in an occasional series: Words I thought I'd never say (or type)
I'm going to watch Middlesborough vs Lazio
Come on you boro!!*

*Please note I am still 100% committed to Leeds Utd, but they're never on telly anymore & when they are they get outclassed by Wigan, fucking Wigan!!

PS. If you put Charby through the spell checker it suggests cherub, aaah.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:36 pm, Blogger Charby said…

    Hurray! Its not been letting me post all day!
    Well for starters I am a cherub! (Stop sniggering!)
    And Compared to Leeds, Charlton are loads better, we're like Man united being better than Preston North End, it goes without saying!

     
  • At 12:26 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dude, you cannot half support ANY team in the Prem. It's Leeds and Leeds only. Now hate is a different prospect altogether... Scum, Cesspool, Barcodes...and the Smoggies? yea gods! They hate us (though that might be summat to do with the paedo chants that the Leeds fans sing up there!) And don't complain about losing at home to Wigan, losing to Burnley was far FAR more grimmer and bloody awful to watch - worst Leeds performance I've ever seen.

    Glad to see I've given some input to your album, Backlash is class mate, fantastic chorus.

    Soz to hear halloween didn't go as expected but "f*ck it" is my motto these days.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home