FLASHPOINT

Beware of the pixies!

Friday, October 21, 2005

"I see a river, it's oceans that I want"

I really don't know what I'm going to post today but I felt the need to post something as it's been a few days. Added to that I'm not sure when my next opportunity will be.

Musically, I've been mostly listening to the new Franz Ferdinand album, which I'm liking. Opening track "The fallen" is my current fave. You cant knock a lyric like: "Well who gives a damn about the profits of Tesco?".
I am also blissfully pleased with Depeche Mode's "Playing the angel". It's great to see the album & the band finally getting some good reviews & favourable press. 25 years on & they're still hitting the top 5 of the singles chart too, "Precious" making No.4.
4 seems to be the unpassable figure for the mighty Mode as that's the highest UK chart position they've ever reached. They've done it on 3 separate occasions now. (Anyone know the other two? Handicaps for DoJ & Mark, you guys have to tell me the b-sides too!)
The album itself is, at this early stage, sounding great to me. Opener "A pain that I'm used to" is vintage Mode, "John the revelator" sounds fresh & new, which is some achievement for a band who've been around for so long & "Suffer well", which is one of Dave Gahan's songs is lovely & warm. I also have quite a liking for "Lillian".
In short, it would appear that as a body of work "Playing the angel" is Depeche Mode's best album since 1993's career highpoint; "Songs of Faith & Devotion". And I'm sure you know what a happy chappy that makes your friendly neighbourhood Flashman.


"A pylon in the rain" is musically finished & waiting for vocals. As was the case with lot's of "Confessions..." (particularly "Egg wielding freak") I have fallen in love with it as an instrumental piece. When the esteemed Lordy B came to visit, I gave him a sneak preview of the embryonic version of "Skin hunger" & he said I should consider releasing it as an instrumental, Stompp has also advocated this course of action before. I am quite tempted in the case of "A pylon in the rain" but here's the thing; "Pylon" has existed as a song for a couple of years without ever getting out of my head properly. Now it's so close I don't want to kill it off, do I? That said, once the vocals are on then they & the lyrics become the focal point of the track & I fear that the music will not have the same impact as it does now. Still, small worries, eh?

Still on a tunes tip, Buddy With Boobs & I shall be venturing up the M6 to the second city on Sunday evening to (shock, horror!) a gig! Who are we seeing? If I said that I foresee a period of civil unrest, would that tell thee?
Yup, we're off to see the Kaiser chiefs! Yay! Though they have many a fine tune, I would be more than happy if they came on, did "I predict a riot" & then said thank you & goodnight.

The Boy & I are off over to Reckless & Dream Girl's place this evening. Part of the night shall involve watching my beloved Leeds United on the telly. It's gonna be our stiffest challenge yet as high flying Sheffield United are the visitors to Elland Road. Top of the table Yorkshire Derby? You don't get that in the premiership, eh?

I'd tell you what I've been up to this week but there's not much to tell, unless you want me to go into detail about all the sex. I sorry to disappoint those of you that may be thinking "Go on Flash, I'd like to know" but I think I'll keep the events of the bedroom in the bedroom.
Don't want all you girls banging down my door now, do I?
Hmmm, come to think of it....

Finally may I just wish you all weekends of joy & happiness.

Cheerio!

6 Comments:

  • At 3:45 pm, Blogger Charby said…

    Don't watch Leeds! You'll only be disappointed!

     
  • At 4:05 pm, Blogger sunshine said…

    Thanks! Hope you have lots of stories next week to share with us.

     
  • At 4:53 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    Sounds like a good week, and a great weekend planned.

    I think you won't be disappointed that KC plays a bit more than the one song...Have a great time.

    "ibbuuwdh" - the original working title for the Ipod.

     
  • At 5:58 pm, Blogger Mark said…

    "People Are People" (In Your Memory is the B) and "Barrel Of A Gun" (Painkiller is on the B) there. Never pay any attention to what is in the charts, me.

     
  • At 12:06 am, Blogger swisslet said…

    are Maximo Park playing with the Kaiser Chiefs mate? If they are, I am supremely jealous. That's my favourite album of the year so far, I reckon.

    ST

     
  • At 5:09 am, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    Oh, my, a vibrating Flash! That must be "the gift."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home