FLASHPOINT

Beware of the pixies!

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

"Jennifer, Alison, Phillipa, Sue, Deborah, Annabel too"

So there I am, fiddling around on a project on i-Tunes (affixing artwork to all the songs that haven't already got any, fact fans) when something struck me. I have, as I'm sure we all do, lots of songs where the title is simply a person's name. I found it rather odd that none of those sort of songs that I have correspond with any of my former lovers (& hey, I am a man of the world, y'know). Below are the girl's names songs that are in my library:

Candy
Nicole
Molly
Katie
Lillian
Rio
Luka
Kim
Jacqueline (ooh, so close!)
Aveda
Louise
Rose Marie
Emily (twice)
Tracie
Lyla
Sylvia
Mary (twice)
Laura
Angie*
Grace
Elle
Mary Jane
Suzy Lee

*Shit, I forgot about that one! The song that is, I could never forget Angie!

Of course there are several others where a name is mentioned ("Sheila, take a bow","Eleanor put your boots on", "Too late Marlene", etc) but I haven't included them, even though I have a smashing little song called "I love you Dawn" & I have loved two Dawns in my time.
There is also a song for Nice, or there would be if she was a sibling of mine.

I'm also aware of songs that I do not have that would fit the bill. There is a Dream Girl song out there (quite a famous tune, I believe) but...
a) I don't like it &
b) The singer is clearly not singing about my Dream Girl.
Also there was a Mandy in my dim & distant past (not that one DOJ) but why on earth would I put the horror of Barry Manilow or Westlife on my pod to revisit that relatively insignificant young lady in my head?
I wouldn't even do that for Dream Girl!

Anyway I just thought I'd share.

12 Comments:

  • At 9:42 pm, Blogger sunshine said…

    Yeah, thanks!

     
  • At 10:16 pm, Blogger LB said…

    My Brother Jake?

    I thought Nice was a woman?

     
  • At 11:00 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    Have you ever noticed there are not a lot of songs named after men? Or maybe there are and I just don't know them.

    I'm sure everyone is shocked to learn of your aversion to Manilow! I wonder what is your most "deviant" musical performer/group, would you say?

     
  • At 12:35 pm, Blogger weenie said…

    Come on Eileen???

     
  • At 6:24 pm, Blogger Flash said…

    So out of 5000 songs, these are the single boy's names songs:

    Gabriel
    Joseph
    Rio (arguably)
    Daniel
    Stan
    Michael
    Narc (I know it's not really a name but YOU tell that to Hyde!)
    Charlie
    Timothy
    Elvis
    Billy
    Mark
    Lenny

    So as you can see, there are some.
    In addition to this I have a song idea that's been itching at me for a couple of weeks. That song (if it comes to fruition) will probably be called "David".

    By the way, I missed Jolene off the girl's names.

     
  • At 6:36 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    There's a song called Stan?!

    Wow, who knew?

     
  • At 7:49 pm, Blogger Flash said…

    Hang on a minute Spins!!!

    Eminem?
    Surely you know that?

     
  • At 10:00 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    Uh-oh, have I lost some music cred?

    I have to admit, I am not up on my Eminem. There is a huge chunk of time in which I had little or no exposure to any popular musical trends. I just retapped in about a year and a half ago when I got a car with a radio.

    And, HELLO, Flash has a new superhero look. Very lovely.

     
  • At 4:50 am, Blogger Chapstick said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 1:54 pm, Blogger Hyde said…

    I agree. Love the superhero! And sadly, there is not a song with my "real name" as the title...

     
  • At 5:32 pm, Blogger Charby said…

    None with my real name either. :(

     
  • At 6:01 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    None in my real name either...although I've just discovered that I share a first name with a really beautiful Norwegian singer/song writer.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home