FLASHPOINT

Beware of the pixies!

Saturday, November 26, 2005

"voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir "

Double A side posts today!

First up it's more of Lyon for you.
I finished work quite early today, about half past 1. By just after 2 I was out walking again.
And crikey did I cover some ground!

My legs have seriously fallen out with me. They hate me & are throbbing away in protest as I type. I have walked & walked & walked & walked some more. About 4 hours solid without so much as a sit down. I covered both new & familiar territory. And again I took some photos.

The city has a very different complexion on a Saturday afternoon. It's very, very busy with shoppers & day trippers scuttling around like ants. I have to take my hat off to some of the French ladies who despite the extreme cold still manage to parade around in little miniskirts. Good work French fillies!

So you wanna see some piccies?
You think you have a choice?

This is place de Bellacour. It was heaving today. Most comically a trio of young lads armed with one accoustic guitar between them were doing some mobile busking. They were being trailed every step by an enthralled tourist with a video camera.



Here's another shot of the mystery building that I still haven't ventured up to.


In the heart of the shopping precint I came across this. Those children are actually skiing on real snow!! In the middle of the bloody street!!!

I'll wager you don't see that in Scunthorpe on a Saturday afternoon!



This marvellous theatre looked simply fab as it basked in the bright winter sun.



I spied this here boat as I crossed over the Saone. As it got closer I was most surprised to find that it had all sorts of wonderful things on it's deck including a pair of steaming hot tubs. Nice!


And finally here's little old moi!

That's not my bag, by the way.

Not long after that photo I was taken I wound up at the Cathedral de Saint Jean again. Today I decided to go in.

Now I'm not a religious man, in fact I don't really hold with any kind of spirituality, but you just have to marvel at the spectacular construction & artistry that goes into places of worship. This one was awe-inspiring.


I have to confess that the first little signs of discontent have been poking their heads round the proverbial door. Don't get me wrong, I'm still having a smashing adventure, but as we draw into Saturday night I'm starting to feel very alone. I'd like to go out on the razz but a) I'm jiggered & b) I don't really care for going out on the town on my own.
This would be an even more special experience if I had someone to share it with.

I miss The Boy.
I miss Nice
& I miss Reckless, Dream Girl and all my usual cohorts.

That said, I do not miss Crapsville, not one little bit.

Tomorrow I think I'm going give my poor legs a bit of a rest. At the suggestion of my boss, I think I'm gonna take the company car & have a cruise out to the Alps. Why not, eh?

I really feel like this blog is really coming into it's own with this trip, for me more than anyone else. I think it's ace that I've got this record of my day to day adventures in France. I apologise if there's just too much for you to keep up with.

All that remains for tonight is to give out a holler to the Mighty Leeds who chalked up a 3rd straight win today back home & to have a little competiton with you guys;

Guess what I'm doing on Monday night, go on, guess!
If anyone gets it right they can have either or both of the following fantastic prizes;
A post on these very pages dedicated to themselves & filled with wonderful Flash style praise for them, or...
A genuine little souvineer from Lyon that I shall purchase & deliver to the winner!
You'll have to be quick though cos it's killing me to keep quiet!!

So, just what am I doing on Monday night?

8 Comments:

  • At 7:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Thats not your bag". Yeah sure, sure. We believe you Flash.

     
  • At 8:42 pm, Blogger red one said…

    Flash - I tried to post a comment on your Lyon-by-night post but blogger ate it. I wanted to say how much I enjoyed the post - and this one.

    I really like having a walk round and a look at the buildings, the people and the general goings on when I fetch up in a town I've never been to before, and reading yours is definitely the next best thing. Great pics and descriptions.

    Blog on, le Flash. C'est formidable.

    red

     
  • At 9:56 pm, Blogger Charby said…

    Strip club? football? Skiing? Going to the mystery building? Challenging James Bond to a duel?
    Going home? concert? Going to a new city in France?

     
  • At 11:46 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    I believe that you will be going to Tony Garnier Hall to see Goldfrapp...and what's that other band called? Oh, yeah, Coldplay.

    (I know Scully guessed it first, but you gotta give me an A for effort! I did first look up Depeche Mode's tour dates, after all.)

    You do realize that you have the tourist grimace in that picture of you, don't you.

    I'm loving reading about your adventures.

     
  • At 11:56 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    I had to come back and add that, despite the tourist grimace, you are a very handsome fellow!

     
  • At 12:37 am, Blogger red one said…

    Monday night: you've signed up for French lessons?

    (It's probably the concert though)

    red

     
  • At 3:29 am, Blogger Alecya G said…

    Bitter is its the concert. I'd love to see that.

    And I agree with Spins, you're adorable. Its also nice to see a pic of you that isn't you in a clown costume (which I think I saw earlier a few months ago, and was the mental image I had of you up until now...)

     
  • At 2:51 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love the fountain. Bit naughty of the French to steal it from that Guinness ad though.

    Like most folk reading your blog, I'm really enjoying reading about your adventure. Making me want to go out there actually.

    Hmm...what you doing Monday...
    Finally having the Operation? Joke.

    I gotta go with seeing Goldfrapp, with Coldplay supporting. If it is you're a lucky b*stard coz they rule!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home