FLASHPOINT

Beware of the pixies!

Thursday, December 22, 2005

"Je suis un rock star"

I’d just got myself comfortable, which wasn’t difficult considering I had 3 seats to myself. The plane had taxied to the start of the runway & I had put my book down. I like to give take off my full attention.

The aircraft starts down the runway & I feel myself being thrown backwards into my chair by the force of the plane’s rapid acceleration. On we go, getting faster & faster as the great metallic bird prepares to leap into the sky.

Then the brakes are slammed on!

For a split second, & it really was just a split second, I was as scared as I had ever been. Real tangible fear. I could feel all my muscles tensing, my eyes widening & my heart rate quickening.

It soon subsided down to mild concern as the plane slowed, my worry now was that we may overshoot the runway & things could get a bit bumpy.
My worry turned out to be unfounded as we headed back to the terminal.
The pilot informed us that there had been a minor problem with the fuel regulation equipment on one of the engines which had led him to abort take off. Then we disembarked & the plane was taken away to be tested.

I got back on the same plane an hour later & finally flew back to Lyon.

I fly again today. I’m going home for the festive season & I’m not coming back till January 3rd. I’m very happy with this state of affairs. It is lovely to come home at the weekends but it’s all very manic & not at all restful. I’m looking forward to chilling out.

I land at Heathrow at 13.50 today & get the train to Northampton. There my first task will be a visit to Toys R us so that I can finally buy my boy some prezzies.

I can’t wait! I love Lyon but I’ve had enough for this year.

13 Comments:

  • At 10:23 am, Blogger weenie said…

    Hope your visit to Toys R Us isn't too much of a nightmare.

    Happy Xmas and all the best for 2006!

     
  • At 10:36 am, Blogger Dzesika said…

    Have a fantastic holiday, you rock star!

    Roll on 2006!

     
  • At 12:53 pm, Blogger Teresa Bowman said…

    Joyeux Noel, M. le Flash.

    And here's to all sorts of Good Clean Fun in the New Year!

     
  • At 1:41 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hope you had a good flight and a safe trip home. Have a very Merry Christmas with the Boy and Nice, God knows you deserve it.

     
  • At 3:12 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    I would say safe travels, but by now your travels should be done. Enjoy your holidays...are those actual days off? That would be a good break for you.

    You are a rock star, indeed!

     
  • At 4:04 pm, Blogger LB said…

    enjoy!

    (Christmas, that is, not the Toys R Us trip)

     
  • At 4:49 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    'You got back on the same plane an hour later"

    Now that takes balls!

     
  • At 6:24 pm, Blogger sunshine said…

    I wish you the merriest of holidays and enjoy your friends, family and all other loved ones.

    Perhaps 2006 will be our year?

    ooooooooooooooo

     
  • At 7:00 pm, Blogger Alecya G said…

    Happy Christmas Flash! I hope you have an excellent time home, and have lots of fun buying presents. It so much fun, isn't it? *sigh*

    Be sure to make a stop beneath the mistletoe!
    xo-AG

     
  • At 10:45 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Give us a shout fella if you venture up Yorkshireland ;)

    To Flash & all his blog viewers - HAPPY CHRISTMAS FOLKS!

    Today's message is brought to you by Stella Artois & the word "twivx"...

     
  • At 10:31 am, Blogger Babs said…

    Merry Christmas!!

    {And if that had happened to a plane I was on I would've, well, I wouldn't have flown. You're a good man, Charlie Brown}

     
  • At 2:02 pm, Blogger adem said…

    How very rock and roll!! Toys R Us!!!!

    I think we take planes for granted and I've luckily only had a few scary moments....

    Merry Christmas Dude!!!

     
  • At 2:37 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    Come back, Flashy, come back!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home