FLASHPOINT

Beware of the pixies!

Monday, December 19, 2005

"Oh, debarasse-moi de ces chiens"

Greetings!

Once again I’m sorry for the lack of regular updates & I’m sorry for not catching up with you all. It’s the big downside to all the good stuff.

Flying.
Now I’m no stranger to air travel & obviously I’m flying a lot more lately than I usually would. I’m still not blasé to it though. I still spend half my flight peering out of the window in wide-eyed wonder like an excited kid. I had a smashing flight home on Friday. I marveled at the pureness of the sky above the fluffy white bed of clouds. The cloud cleared just in time for me to play my favourite airplane game; What’s that town down below?

My first point of focus was a great winding river which I suspected was the Thames. This was confirmed when I saw the flood barrier. Just to the south of that was The Valley, home of Charlton Athletic FC. I knew that somewhere down there in my field of vision there was an old friend. So I waved & quietly said “Whoo oo! Charbs!”
Within the next 2 minutes I flew over Upton Park, Highbury & White Hart Lane. Then London had gone. The next large place I saw I didn’t recognise, though I suspect it may have been Luton.
After that I gazed down upon what looked to be a fairly large city. I was quite puzzled. I picked out the football stadium but I couldn’t place the colours. Next to that stadium was some sort of large erection (fnar,fnar!). The whole place looked familiar but I just couldn’t figure it out. It must be Northampton, I told myself. It can’t be, I answered myself, that ground isn’t Sixfields.
I was right, it wasn’t Sixfields. It was Franklins Gardens; the home of Northampton Saints Rugby team & the erection was the Express lifts tower. A local landmark that I have driven past a squillion times yet didn’t recognise from the air. Northampton looked huge from my vantage point.

Then as we flew over the M1 (picking out Watford gap services) I started to get genuinely excited. The plane was now directly over my adopted hometown of Crapsville! I could see my work, I could see the country park, I could see Ford’s & I could even see my home! It was ace!

From there on my game was a piece of piss. Southam, Leamington Spa, Kenilworth (the castle looked fantastic), the enormous urban sprawl of Coventry & finally Birmingham International Airport.

It was a wonderful flying experience.

In sharp contrast to last night’s events...

13 Comments:

  • At 5:23 pm, Blogger LB said…

    Oooh, Coventry from the air. It's all glamour, this work, isn't it?

    (dreaming about a young Patsy Kensit breathing those lyrics, by the way. purrrrrrrrrr)

     
  • At 6:21 pm, Blogger sunshine said…

    Have missed you!

     
  • At 6:48 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    I'm sitting here thinking I've missed something...what happened last night?

    And, yeah, what sunshine said.

     
  • At 7:15 pm, Blogger LavaLady said…

    Yes Flash, what happened?

     
  • At 8:21 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    ooh, you tease. Look at us all on tenterhooks!

    ST

    (mighty, mighty Franklin's Gardens, as we Saints fans like to call it)

     
  • At 8:47 pm, Blogger LB said…

    I have just noticed that we have both used the same obscure 1980s pop single as the lyrics for our respective most recent posts.

    weird, huh?

    (or not, clearly, if you saw mine and realised it had French lyrics in...)

     
  • At 9:15 pm, Blogger Charby said…

    Wahooo! Flashy! *waves*

    Does the mean I'll have to start waving at every plane that goes over at the weekend?

    And what happened?

     
  • At 4:02 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    England is as beautiful from the sky as it is on land....Sigh....

     
  • At 6:06 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I loved flying up the east coast of America at night. The sunset lasted a good hour and was breath taking. Then the lights came on DC from the sky is just awesome.

    Don't worry about the visits, just try and drop by to read my 100th post.

     
  • At 10:04 am, Blogger adem said…

    Do you have to fight for the window seat???

     
  • At 4:44 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Incase I don't get a chance to do it later...

    Have a very HAPPY CHRISTMAS!>>to you and your family.

     
  • At 8:15 pm, Blogger Babs said…

    Oooog!! I'd be too busy being bloody terrified to look down while flying.

     
  • At 7:56 am, Blogger P'tit-Loup said…

    Sorry, I did not read the post yet as it is late and I must go to bed soon, but I love the title to the post and just wanted to let you know that! "Get them dogs out" sounds like the french counter part to "who let the dogs out" is it?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home