FLASHPOINT

Beware of the pixies!

Thursday, March 23, 2006

"If they made a film of the book of the memories with Bobby De Niro & Demi De Moore"

I am ill.
It sucks.

"Oh it's not as good as the book".
These are words I have never spoken.
I dare say quite a few of you have & I have heard people speak variants of that phrase as I have exited the cinema.
I have never said it though, because as we have previously explored, I don't really do books.
However, stick a man on aeroplanes, put him in departure lounges & cage him in a hotel room & soon enough you'll find him with a book in his hand.
I actually read 5 books during my time in Lyon, but it's the first of these I'm going to talk about.
The book in question, I enjoyed immensely. I found myself making time to read it. Something I'd never done before. I actually recall saying at one point "I'm gonna give the pub a miss & have an early night with my book", which of course ended up being nothing like an early night because I just couldn't bloody stop reading. I was well & truly gripped.
When I finished the book I was gutted, simply because it had ended & I didn't want it to.

I'm guessing that the book world has many similarities with my natural habitat, the music world. That occasionally the No.1 bestseller is a genuinely good work by an author who has honed their skills over several works (like say U2 or Coldplay) but it's also not uncommon for the No.1 to be put in it's position by people who don't usually read books, just as in the music world many an album gets to number 1 without having the talent or spark of genius that you'd expect it to. Perhaps this quote (taken from Mark's blog) by James Blunt's producer may explain better; "I suppose it's just that I'm also aware of a wildly popular form of commercial music that appeals to the broad swathe of people who don't actually like music that much, or for whom at least music isn't particularly important, beyond its function as something to fill in life's sonic background."

I suspect that the book I'm talking about probably falls into this catergory in the eyes of regular bookreaders. I have seen it treated with disdain on a couple of occasions.
Of course, I'm talking about "The Da Vinci code" by Dan Brown.

I really, really enjoyed reading this book, much more than I thought possible.
Irrespective of whether the whole Mary Magdalene thing is utter hokum or not, I found that I was drawn in to every twist & turn of the story. I liked the central characters, I liked the pace of the read, god damn it I loved that book.

I've since read all Mr. Brown's books. I liked "Angels & demons" even more than the Da Vinci code (The whole science vs religion thing really floats my boat). The other 2 were ok but, again using music as my frame of reference, it was like listening to "Violator" & "Songs of faith & devotion" first & then checking out "Some great reward" & "Black celebration". Much the same flavour just not as tasty.

It's not long now till "The Da Vinci code" hits the silver screen. I will go to see it. I need to see it. I really was not pleased when I heard that Tom Hanks had been cast as Robert Langdon. I have nothing against the Hanksmeister at all (Forrest Gump being one of my favourite films, in which our Tom plays a blinder) it's just I didn't picture Robert like that when I read it. I expect this must be a popular gripe for those of you who read books a lot & then see them turned into films. It's just not right, is it? I really don't know who I would've chosen to play the part because to me Robert Langdon is Robert Langdon. And that's that.
Nor would I have chosen Sir Ian McKellen, I saw someone much shorter & rounder for the part of Leigh Teabling.

Still, all that said I will no doubt shuffle myself over to the multiplex come May to watch the movie.
I will also no doubt exit the cinema saying "Oh it's not as good as the book".

7 Comments:

  • At 4:41 pm, Blogger HistoryGeek said…

    I really liked the DaVinci Code as well. It's not great literature, but I have to be honest that great literature has never really been gripping for me. I have to struggle with many of the books that are "popular" these days, and often will put them down before they are finished. To me a good book (even if it's not good by literary standards) is one that creates a movie in my imagination...it sounds like Dan Brown did that for you. That's excellent!

    It's funny because when I was younger I used to read books based on movies (I read all the Star Wars books - well the original trilogy, anyway). Usually the books were a pale version of the movie...but in one case this was not true. The author of The Abyss added the perspective of aliens into the book that was missing from the movie. I read the book after the movie, not expecting it to be good...and lo, and behold, I liked the book better than the movie!

    And now I'm going to stop because this is becoming the longest comment ever.

    P.S. I'm sorry you are sick...get better soon!

     
  • At 10:36 pm, Blogger LB said…

    I thought it was fantastically entertaining nonsense as well, mate (from someone who ready 6 books last year of which this was one. "Angels and Demons" is possibly better still, by the way).

    Tom Hanks is a *dreadful* piece of casting. A late 1980s Harrison Ford would have been my choice, frankly.

     
  • At 11:09 pm, Blogger Flash said…

    D'you know what Lordy B?
    Dream girl & I were talking about this the other day & that's exactly who we thought for the role.

     
  • At 12:17 pm, Blogger adem said…

    I think the Dan Brown books are great reading if you don't want to invest too much into them. They are easy reading but give you just enough to keep you hooked. I've read many prople who hate his books and I think this may just be snobbery. I would liken him to the James Blunt of the literary world!

    I'm a big fan of books with facts in, which use real locations, and which have plausable plots with great thinking behind them.

    I'd like to see the film as I'm sure it will provide good entertainment.

     
  • At 1:27 pm, Blogger Mark said…

    NO ONE EXPECTS THE DA VINCI CODE!

     
  • At 5:02 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You have just reminded me that I need to read more.

     
  • At 10:47 pm, Blogger Alecya G said…

    I' ve not read it yet and I need to. I keep hearing its a god book. To tell you thr truth I am more than a little afraid I wont like it and I'll feel odd when everyone keeps going on about it and Ithought it was a snoozer. But then, I like to read, so its harder for me to find a book I don't like, honestly.

    As for books and movies, I've made a rule I have to read the book first if I am going to read it at all. Jurrassic Park was ruined for me, and there's no shortage of other novels that have been trashed by the movie [the Count of Monte Cristo, for one. My favorite book, if you care...] This time I read Memoirs of a Geisha before I saw it, and I enjoyed both the book, and the movie.

    Alright, I'll stop geeking out already. And I'll maybe go pickup the book.

    Get better, dear.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home