FLASHPOINT

Beware of the pixies!

Thursday, January 06, 2005

"She took me by surprise, She took me from behind"

I was listening to my pod earlier whilst out in the yard dealing with the troublesome waste water system when a song came on by a long defunct band called Carrie.
Carrie were, it's fair to say, an odd lot. I saw them live 4 or 5 times as a support band & though I wasn't keen at first, I did warm to them in the end.
They were led by an American fella by the name of Steve Ludwin ( if memory serves me correctly) & their bassist was Zak Foley (who some may remember as the bass player of early 90's popsters EMF). Zak died some 3 or 4 years ago under questionable circumstances & legend has it he could perform a selection of mind-boggling tricks with his old chap.
Carrie's only flirtation with the great unwashed was their single "Molly". Though it never really troubled the charts it was played on the radio loads for a couple of months.
The song is about a girl called Molly (strangely enough) who "made love like a boy".
In the summer of 1998 myself, Temper Tantrum, Reckless & Dream Girl went to a free "festival" in Leeds. It was called Breeze 98 & it had no big names whatsoever on the bill. We went to see The supernaturals (must tell you all about them one day). Most likely because it was free, the place was overrun with kids. The vast majority of them were probably in the 12-15 age rage. They all looked resplendent in their black clothes, sculpted hair & with a smattering of mum's eyeliner. Fair play to them.
Anyway about 3 in the afternoon Carrie come on. The kids don't really know who they are but they rock & that'll do for them. A few songs in our Mr. Ludwin announces the next song...
"This song is about a girl I knew... She took me from behind... Hey I tell you all, you haven't lived until your girlfriend has fucked you up the ass with a strap on.... This is Molly"
...(shocked gasp, followed by silence)...
As my worldly companions & I smirked, we witnessed one of the funniest things I ever did see; quite literally thousands of kids looking at each other, open mouthed, silent & not a little scared.
I know things have changed a bit since I was 14 but I'd never heard of a strap on or anything like that at that age & I reckon it came as quite a shock to most the youngsters there.
And that wasn't it...
Our intrepid frontman had obviously got the taste for it now. As the band reached the climax of the song (& indeed their set) he took of his jeans & it became clear that his white vest was actually a leotard, which left little to the imagination. Not wanting to spoil it for those with no imagination, he quickly removed that as well. So there he stands completely starkers in front of a now completely mortified crowd of teenagers. His band mates drag him off backstage (I nearly put "pulled" instead of drag then!) with his todger still waggling about. I think I remember there being tears, there certainly was from our posse!
I can only imagine the potential chaos in homes across West Yorkshire that night, picture the scene...
"did you have a nice time at the concert dear?"
"yeah, it was cool"
....
"mum?"
"yes dear?"
"What's a strap on?"

Steve Ludwin & Carrie: I salute you.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:39 pm, Blogger shorty said…

    I salute YOU. I'm just amazed that you didn't join him in his exhibitionist act. Maybe another time. I love your stories.....tell another....Please.

     
  • At 7:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    BWAH!!! That's beautiful!!!

    (It's me, Gladys. Damn stubborn work Mac won't log me in for comments...)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home