FLASHPOINT

Beware of the pixies!

Monday, January 31, 2005

"So don't forget the songs that made you cry & the songs that saved your life"

Here at world of Flash, I offer my apologies for the previous blast of existential doubt & return you to normal service with this questionnaire type thing (last one I'm doing for a while cos I've overdone it a bit lately) that the lovely Charby put before me...

1. What is the total amount of music files on your computer -
4385

2. The cd you last bought is: The last one I bought was "Kleptomania" by Mansun. I was gutted when they split up during the recording of their 4th album. I, among thousands, signed a petition to get this material released & Kleptomania is those album sessions plus lot's of other rarities in a 3CD collection. It seems I don't actually buy CD's anymore, which is bizarre considering how many I have bought over the years. The last album I got, however was Athlete's "Tourist" which I got only 2 hours ago, & it sounds good!

3. What is the song you last listened to before reading this message?
As I type I'm listening to "Step into the light" by The Open.

4. Write down 5 songs you often listen to or that mean a lot to you:
The scientist - Coldplay: A soundtrack to something that came & went too quickly.
Tonight - Easyworld: A lament to something that came & went too quickly, yet echoed on forever.
Coming down - Starsailor: "must I always be your clown"
Enjoy the silence - Depeche mode: Musical perfection
Spitting games - Snow patrol: It's irresistible, simple as that.

5. Who are you going to pass this stick to?: - All of you, go on, you know you want to

6. Your favorite song with the name of a city in the title or text: Amsterdam- Coldplay, Sheffield song - The Supernaturals, New York city cops - The Strokes & more that escape me now.

7 . A song you've listened to repeatedly when you were depressed at some point in your life:
The aforementioned "The scientist" & "Tonight" along with Depeche Mode's "The things you said", Feargal sharkey's "I've got news for you", "In my other world" by Martin L. Gore & "My sweet prince" by Placebo.

8. Ever bought an entire album just for one song and wound up disliking everything but that song? More than you'd believe

9. A great song in a language other than English: Because I love singing so much, I find it difficult with other tongues (& instrumentals for that matter). Having said that "Torra fy ngwallt yn hir" by Super Furry Animals is rather ace.

10. Your least favourite song on one of your favourite albums of all time:
"Blue Dress" off Violator
"Aluminum" off White blood cells
"The intense humming of evil" off The Holy Bible
"Never had no one ever" off The Queen is dead
"Bulletproof" off The Bends
Off being an instruction.

11. A song you like by someone you find physically unattractive or otherwise repellent:
Confessions of an idiot - Gnu cnu

12. Your favourite song that has expletives in it that's not by Liz Phair.
Super Furries again with "The man don't give a fuck" & obviously "Closer" by NIN (Actually probably 90 % of the NIN back catalogue)

13. A song that sounds as if it's by someone British but isn't.
All of The Killer's "Hot fuss" album.

14. A song that reminds you of summer but doesn't mention summer at all:
Good enough - Dodgy

15. A song that sounds to you like being happy feels:
Bliss - Muse; It does exactly what it says on the tin.

16. Your favorite song from a non-soundtrack compilation album - errr wha?

17. A song that reminds you of high school
So so many- Blue Monday, The Reflex, It's a sin, millions more & all of Depeche mode's 81-86 output.

18. A song you actually like by an artist you otherwise dislike:
"Leave right now" by Will Young, it's a great song!

19. A song by a band that features three or more female members:
Think you may have got me there, I can only think of Bananabloodyrama!

20. One of the earliest songs that you can remember listening to:
"She loves you", a lot of Abba & the Star Wars soundtrack

21. A song you've been mocked by friends for liking:
I still get a bit of sniggering for some of the 80's stuff I like. Howard Jones, Kajagoogoo, etc

22. A really good cover version you think no one else has heard:
I really could construct you a wonderful 20 track playlist here but in the interests of brevity & off the top of my head: "Hopelessly devoted to you" by Easyworld & "House of the rising sun" by Muse

23. A song that has helped cheer you up (or empowered you somehow) after a breakup or otherwise difficult situation: I'm really struggling to think of one here but The Bluetones' take on "That's life" always brings a broad smile.



Anyway, I've booked today & tomorrow off work so I can do some serious work on my album & I haven't even opened the bloody program yet, nor have I gotten dressed.
Bugger.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:37 pm, Blogger shorty said…

    I disagree with # 11.

    I also will not be par taking in this survey, for I lack the answers to nearly all the questions.

    Well done.

     
  • At 9:40 pm, Blogger shorty said…

    I'm not sure if you want to do this, and I probably shouldn't even request it, but I liked it in the beginning of your blog when you would do a wrap up for the month. Would you be interested in doing that again???

    If not, I'll live.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home