FLASHPOINT

Beware of the pixies!

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

"We'll stick to the plan, no room for maneuver"

Hello!
Answers later, shall we say a deadline for questions of 10pm UK time? Cool.

Till then I'm gonna get all musical on your ass (just for a change).
First up; American idiot.
Now I know I've already gone on about this but lordy this album is good. Since the arrival of my pod I've found I don't actually listen to albums as such. However, I listen to American idiot every day & it just keeps getting better. One of those rarest of albums where every single track is welcomed with as much gusto as the last. Sure I have a couple of favourite songs but none that I'm ever tempted to skip, not one. Were it a lady I would romance it with such panache that it would never ever need anybody else.

Stereophonics; The new single sounds bloody ace! Is this the return to form that I've been craving since 99? I do hope so. It starts with one of those early Duran duran sounds on it that go up & down in a way that I can't describe. If I could I would ask Stompp how to achieve it in Reason.

By nature I am a bit of a gambler. Not in the literal sense so much, I mean I've been to the dogs a couple of times & the gee gees twice too, sometimes I'll have a small flutter on the footy aswell but I really am a stranger to the bookies.
I do take many gambles in life though, some have paid out & some have cost me dear. Today I have decided to take another risk, this time on the "album".
Release date is less than 3 weeks away now & I still haven't even started 3 of my best songs. These songs are held in such high esteem (by me!) that I feel it would be unfair on them to rush them & perhaps let them end up less than what they should be.
As such "Confessions of an idiot" will now contain the 10 or 11 songs that are done or almost done.
The gamble is thus: "Confessions..." Is good enough to stand up as it is & it gets enough positive feedback that people will want to hear more from me. If this is the case then I will already have a really strong base of material for the follow up &, let's be honest, the 2nd always has to outstrip the first. Or...
People will generally think that "Confessions..." Is a load of old plop & will threaten me with ostracization (real word?) or extreme violence if I ever come within 20 feet of them bearing a giddy smile, a CD & the words "You've gotta listen to this", thus consigning at least 3 bloody great songs to the dustbin of songs only ever heard by 3 or 4 people.

Anyway the choice has been made & I will stand or fall by this decision. I think it says something about the faith I have in "Confessions..." that I'm willing to take this shot.



1 Comments:

  • At 9:18 pm, Blogger Charby said…

    I've done it!
    I thought of the question.
    At first it was going to be general things, like where do you stand on the marmite debate or what was the most embarrassing single you've ever brought.
    But I think i've found a "real" serious question to ask.
    I remember reading once that you was adopted when you were little, so I'm asking have you ever tried or wanted to find your birth parents?
    My Aunt is adopted too and she found her Mother and things didn't go well, so I'm wondering if you've ever tried that?
    Apologies if you've already answered this and my general dimness has meant that i've missed the answer.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home